Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does Fedora feel so smooth and animated?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why does Fedora feel so smooth and animated?

Part of this may also be that Fedora's release cycle inherently makes it less bleeding edge. It is released once the kernel, GNOME and the like have been somewhat stabilized and it seems to me that they are a bit more flexible with it.

Something that struck me recently is that Fedora released with this showstopper bug fixed (since the patch existed before their final release), while Ubuntu has yet to release the appropriate patch to the stable repositories. (It's been hovering precariously in proposed updates for weeks now).
    My more crazed side likes that Fedora stays truer to upstream, with relatively unmangled GNOME. The shutdown and logout dialogs all look right all the time, without any unusual icons, and Nautilus defaults to spatial mode. I'm going out on a limb, but something which may be benefiting them is that they seem to put more trust in upstream, working closer to the GNOME project and as a result accepting the logic in what it offers by default.

Otherwise, there are all sorts of little things, and I too just can't quite put my finger on what it is that gives it the extra charm... I suppose the new GDM helps, and they have really good art work. I like that they keep it consistent across everything, now with crossfades galore. Especially consistent with ATI graphics.
    I like that the artwork is community selected. For a distribution that some claim is more corporate, Fedora has an extremely good community thing going on.

It's not that Fedora is superior in all ways. Indeed, Ubuntu has some awesome stuff too. Ubuntu's name really drives home the free software ethos, and Jono does an amazing job again with the community. Launchpad is going to be one of free software's most powerful tools in the coming years. I consider it that already. It isn't just a bug tracker; it is really empowered by the unique model we use to develop software.

However, there are many notes to be taken. I hope they are taken and acted upon soon, because I for one am hopelessly split at the moment. (At least until Fedora can adopt Launchpad).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why does Fedora feel so smooth and animated?

Quote Originally Posted by CrucifiedEgo View Post
    ...after getting burned by centos4 though, i'm still not comfortable enough with yum to switch my servers from ubuntu 8.04.
    Have you tried the latest CentOS? It is quite good and, IMO, much improved from the 4.x series. yum is always an adventure when you move away from long-time use of the dpkg system or some other package system. The more I use it though, the more I almost prefer it.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123