Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does Fedora feel so smooth and animated?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why does Fedora feel so smooth and animated?

So after playing with the Fedora 10 preview off an external hard drive, I have gained an uncontrollable urge to *gasp* replace Ubuntu 8.10 with it. I feel kind of bad doing this since I have some unfinished business with Ubuntu, but the fact is Fedora has performed about twice as well on my computer (plus zero recurring kernel panics). I like that they aren't afraid to use the technically superior new GDM; the advantages really show.

Something that interests me is their collection of cool little adjustments. For example, when entering fullscreen mode in an application, there seems to be a little sliding animation as the title bar disappears and the window client area moves to fill the screen. It feels really smooth. With Ubuntu, the process has always been super quick but a bit flickery as the window client catches up with its resizing.
    There's also a delightful fading effect when I change the wallpaper background which definitely didn't happen before.
    Some other instances of unusual bounciness are things like the toolbars in some applications growing into place somehow. It's... strange.

So are these all patches applied downstream to Fedora a little bit ahead of other distros, or something with configuration?

This is also the point where you can try to talk me out of it. Don't worry, I'll still use Launchpad and run Ubuntu off my ext disk
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Why does Fedora feel so smooth and animated?

I was just looking at Fedora 5min ago, feel the urge to download it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh, and Plymouth helps. I have never seen such an awesome boot-up! Now I really hate my Nvidia card
    Next time it'll be Intel all the way unless NVidia does something magical.

Beans

Well, I do like Fedora more than Ubuntu, but I haven't been able to run F10 since Beta snapshot 2; it just won't boot on my laptop. Maybe the Preview version fixed the issue, but I will just wait until the final is released and try that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I love the new fedora, but i don't like the file browser.
    It just seems so bare.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

F10 is the best thing to happen to Fedora since F8, which has been the highlight of the project, as far as I'm concerned. I've been running it as part of a tri-boot setup since the last Beta, and it has been amazing. I think I will probably replace one of the other systems on the box completely when it goes final.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by T2manner View Post
    I love the new fedora, but i don't like the file browser.
    It just seems so bare.
    You can change that to the ubuntu-default one in gconf-editor. That's always the first thing I do on a fresh fedora install (that and install wget)
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    You can change that to the ubuntu-default one in gconf-editor. That's always the first thing I do on a fresh fedora install (that and install wget)
    If he's referring to how the toolbar isn't showing in the file browser, he can just go to preference, click on the behavior tab, and make sure that "Always open in browser windows" is checked.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    If he's referring to how the toolbar isn't showing in the file browser, he can just go to preference, click on the behavior tab, and make sure that "Always open in browser windows" is checked.
    Yeah, you can do it that way too... I usually change other stuff in gconf so I do it there.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Why does Fedora feel so smooth and animated?

Fedora 10 is very nice. Today I tried its live CD. Webcam just worked with Cheese without doing anything. Wallpaper is elegant. It is a decent distro. But I feel like at home when using ubuntu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast