Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO Install Compiz-Git through Synaptic, Intrepid

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Compiz-Git through Synaptic, Intrepid

Thanks for pointing at.

Beans

By the way: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1010651

Though, I haven't tried using shame's repo with hardy.
    Last edited by Izek; December 15th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

Loomsen,

Great tut, even i managed to install git-compiz. Not bad for a no0b.

Time for a stupid question, but those need to be asked as well sometimes.

I followed all of your instructions and yahoo, i got it working. Still at start up, it does not recognize git-compiz and it does not work as it should. If i use "compiz --replace" it stays the same and not all is working well. I have to use the fusion icon and reload the window manager to get it working okay. After the reload it works like a charm.

After i tried to install and configure AWN, it did not appear after i rebooted. Instead i gotten a error message telling me that the screen was not composited and that i need to select a window manager. It is there, it just not recognized at startup. The reload in Fusion Icon fixes the issue and AWN appears.

I just have no idea on how to change this permanently. Where the peep! do i change this in order to make it recognize git-compiz at startup? I think both issues are connected and i am not sure what to do next. Will you give a little help here, so i can fix the issue?

I am running on Jaunty. It might also be a temp issue.

Beans

Sorry, haven't been online for a while cause I moved.

Might be jaunty related, but it sounds like it's just due to your startup.

Write a little bash script to start AWN after fusion-icon, and chose fusion-icon as your default window manager.(You could i.e. change gnome-wm to fusion-icon in System->Pref->Startup Applications. Look for window manager and change the command to /usr/bin/fusion-icon.

Should be fine at startup then I think.
    Did you notice the hint that this repo is no longer maintained by shame?

Beans

how can i revert my original compiz back. i don't see it in repo through synaptic anymore

thanx

Beans

Thanx again for pointing in the right direction.

No GWM in there, i just added Fusion Icon with command fusion-icon.

All works fine now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hello, does anybody have any information in getting this working with the release candidate? (jaunty) i've been trying but i can't seem to get it working.. at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loomsen View Post
    Hi everyone.

Unfortunately shame's repo

due to

So I'd like to say thanks for all the work shame, if you read this by chance, and my wholehearted best wishes to you. Hopefully everything will take a turn for the better as soon as possible.

The whole story

So, thx again shame, it's always been a pleasure using your repo.

Much obliged

loom.
    Couple of posts above this one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steigerjb
    Ok, I got Git. I can't seem to be able to enable advance desktop effects.

See below of before/after when i try enabling desktop effects in appearance.

before:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/15yx7bt.png

after:
    http://i39.tinypic.com/15cxzix.png

Please avoid private messages, and also read above... This is outdated. Just stay with the packages that are in the repos. Compiz is stable now, there won't be much of a difference till 0.9 will be released somewhen.

Unless you encounter a seriously annoying bug, want to change source code or happen to be a developer you probably won't need compiz git.

Beans

many thanks loomsen for the information you provide in this thread. . .

not being scared off by git and the prospect of ( eventually ) creating and modifying source i have read through . .

as my first ubuntu install is of ( an updated ) koala netbook remix 2 i suspect that i do not ( presently ) need the git repo stuff

my question here is should i install the protobuf stuff into my install ? will this offer better/ faster/ more reliable performance ?
    i am new to ubuntu and relatively new to debian linux so some of the material is a little beyond me presently. .

just beginning to learn about the internals of gnome/ windows managers and decorators. .

i guess fusion-icon will be very useful to me as i get to grips with compiz/ metacity/ gnome/ kde/ LXD/Xfce and such.

if anyone were to read this and be able to any pointers to good resources for learning about this more generally i would be most grateful, and such might also be useful to others ..

i hope in the near future to move to Lucid and debian unstable( as per eb4 ) - any observations as to this plan would be appreciated . .

perhaps i should stick with my present install where i have a blender 2.5 and compiz working and continue my explorations here, but my inclination is to move to the newest versions. .

i hope finally to create ( in gtk and python ) a time-based program for manipulating blender in a compiz-enabled desktop environment.

thanks, and best wishes to all.
    Last edited by pete_m; April 28th, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
    onwards and upwards - per ardua ad astral avenues . . .
    way up on . . ,
    http://ip.icefactory.heliohost.org
    /http://icefactory.heliohost.org/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234