Thread: proftpd help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Angry proftpd help!

Ok I am new to FTP and I have only a moderate understanding of Ubuntu/Linux.

I want to setup an FTP server to share files between work, home, and my brothers pc at college (in a different state).

I started by following the Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd) guide.

I am comfortable with terminal so I started with the more advanced configuration. I followed the guide exactly when I start the server it says "Ok".

However when I or my brother go to the IP all we get is index of ftp.

Am I doing something wrong?

I thought after it was setup all I had to do was go to Whatismyip and type in ftp://myip

Am I mistaken? Please help this is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: proftpd help!

Isn't that the result you are looking for? Can you click on a file and download it? Can you upload a file from your computer to the server?

A little more information would help.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: proftpd help!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Isn't that the result you are looking for? Can you click on a file and download it? Can you upload a file from your computer to the server?

A little more information would help.

Jim
    The problem is that the index does not show any of the files I have in the upload or download folders (I placed some random docs in the folders I created during the tutorial just to test). It appears that there is nothing there. I took a screenshot.

Plus It is never asking me for the username or password that should be setup (according to the guide I linked to above).
    Last edited by streetart; November 5th, 2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: forgot some info