Thread: [SOLVED] installing kde 4 but don't want kde apps all over the place

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question [SOLVED] installing kde 4 but don't want kde apps all over the place

I am currently running ubuntu 8.10.

I am planning on installing the kde4 desktop environment. However, is it possible to have the kde applications sorted into one place instead of having them mixed up along with my gnome apps?

And/Or is it possible to only install essential kde apps and not the 100s of useless apps that come along with it?

I think I remember reading a guide on this but I can't seem to find it.

Thx in advance!
    Specs: Acer Aspire 5633WLMi | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz) | 2GB DDR2 (dual-channel) RAM | Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache 256 MB | BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi | Ubuntu 11.04 x32 | Windows 7 x64

Beans

Re: installing kde 4 but don't want kde apps all over the place

You can't keep them separate unless you edit your main menus after installation, but you can install just a base kde4 system with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kde-core

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wink Re: installing kde 4 but don't want kde apps all over the place

does the base kde4 system contain the eyecandy pre-installed with it? Supposedly the new kde4 desktop environment has integrated widgets with the its file manager... or something along these lines!
    Specs: Acer Aspire 5633WLMi | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz) | 2GB DDR2 (dual-channel) RAM | Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache 256 MB | BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi | Ubuntu 11.04 x32 | Windows 7 x64

Beans

It has the base set of plasmoids, which is what i think people refer to as the kde4 eye-candy. The theme/style/colour is almost identical to the full kubuntu-desktop installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Smile Re: installing kde 4 but don't want kde apps all over the place

thx exactly what i was looking for!

Beans

after installing kde-4 if I dont like it how can I un-install it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: [SOLVED] installing kde 4 but don't want kde apps all over the place

sudo apt-get remove kde-core

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by abh83 View Post
    does the base kde4 system contain the eyecandy pre-installed with it? Supposedly the new kde4 desktop environment has integrated widgets with the its file manager... or something along these lines!
    If KDE4 is like KDE3, when you add just the kde-core to Ubuntu, openOffice application windows will be missing some icons. I can't remember the name of the file, but there is an OO file with kde in its name that will fetch you those icons and make the windows look right.