Thread: Installing /home on 2nd hd (eee 901)

Beans

Installing /home on 2nd hd (eee 901)

Hi

I'm trying to install Intrepid on our new eee 901.

It has 2 HDs, one is 4GB and the other is 16GB.

I want it to boot from the 4GB drive but have the /home on the 16GB drive.

After I go into manual partition during installation, what do I need to do?

I'm a bit of a newbie and just want to get this right!

Thanks

Jacqui

Beans

Re: Installing /home on 2nd hd (eee 901)

Just tell the installer to mount the 4GB as / and the 16GB as /home. Don't forget to format both as ext3 filesystem. I assume you have a swap partition for your machine?
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You would only want to do this if both disks are always in the netbook.

You can define this in the installation process by choosing manual or assisted partitioning at the partitioning section. And then specifying the which-ever /dev/<disk> is the 16 that it should be mounted as /home.

If the install is done you can modify the fstab (/etc/fstab) to mount the /dev/<disk> as /home.

Finally you could mount the 16 on an other mount point and add an alias or shortcut from the /home/<username> folder. This of course is not a true move of the /home and would not relocate all the user files.

anything I enclosed in <> is a variable that you will have to determine for your system.
    -- Coreigh

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible"
    ... Einstein or Escher, you pick ...

Beans

Assumptions are dangerous!

I've read elsewhere that swap can damage SSD and that they're not necessary?

Thanks so much for your advice, that's exactly what I was looking for. Is the swap an issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

After doing a little googling about swap and SSD the only thing I found negative were people who had swap on removable SSD. If the used the SSD between a netbook and a camera or other device the lost files that were left on the SSD. This led me to think that they meant swapping the SSD in and out, not using a swap file (memory cache).

In fact some posts indicated that solid state memory excels at the type of random read/write that is needed for a swap file.

Most said that the "sweet-spot" is lots of system memory (RAM, 2GB or more) and a small swap space (256MB - 1GB) because you will rarely need it but some applications just expect it to be there and slow down a lot if they cant find it.

For the record my google search was SSD swap file
    -- Coreigh

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible"
    ... Einstein or Escher, you pick ...