Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ipod Touch Sync in Virtualbox & Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Ipod Touch Sync in Virtualbox & Intrepid Ibex

It does work with iPhone 3g. I'm using it now, and i've had ~50 people confirm it on my blog. I wrote a script that i'm continuing to develop to make it as easy as possible.

http://www.huanix.com/2008/11/03/fix...ng-windows-xp/

Beans

Oh cool, thanks for the reply and link! So how well does it work? Do you run Windows XP in seamless mode (i think thats right), is it easy sharing your music from Ubuntu to Windows iTunes folder? Is it possible to make a symbolic link so that iTunes can see your music from the Ubuntu folder?

It's a funny story.. When I initially tried the fix and synced I was very excited, so I posted the "easy script" on my blog. Since then I've been so busy that I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. I haven't kicked into seamless mode, but i assume it works. I do store all of my music on an ext3 drive mounted in ubuntu and shared into windows; iTunes runs music from there quite well.I may investigate that more. I've spent the last week trying to make iTunes8 run in wine - i've had a lot of success, but no win. I think i'm ready to put that aside for a minute (it wore me out!)

At the moment i'm trying to add a case to the script to allow it to run in Fedora... oh.. and I have about 4 weeks of graduate school work that i need to catch up on!

Beans

lol, a very busy man than. I dont have an iPhone, but was thinking about buying one, still not sure if ethnicly I should buy one or not, and if running a virtual box will annoy me?

I've just installed virtualbox, so Ill have a play with that later this week. It could be that a symbolic link might work very well, saves you copy and pasting music from windows to Ubuntu every time.

Another thought, compiz and seamless mode in Virtualbox dont get alone? Unless this has been fixed. Also on the Virutalbox website, it says that Virtualbox 2.1 will solve the iPhone problems, which will be useful

Yeah, at the bottom of the virtualbox/iphone bug ticket ( http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/491 ) it says it's fixed in 2.1, but I haven't seen a release date.

You know, if you haven't bought an iPhone yet, you might consider looking at the G1 (Google Phone). I don't know a lot about it - i haven't even seen one, but i do know that it's based on Android, open software that should play very well with linux. I'm locked into iPhone right now, but I'll be picking up a G1 as soon as the opportunity presents itself!

Beans

Yeah I had one of those, its an amazing piece of kit. But I couldnt get a signal at home, so I couldnt keep it. The phone itself is awesome tho, highly recommend getting it. What are you thoughts on the iPhone then? Should I "sell my soul" and be a freedom hater? lolz

I do truly enjoy the iPhone; I have the 16gb 3g, and I passed my old 8gb to my wife. I enjoyed jailbreaking and kicking around with it. It takes great video (with cycorder after jailbreak), and it works as a wifi access point over the cell network (also with jailbreak - PdaNet) The thing I really miss is an open platform - i'm irritated that instead of working with Apple, we're working around them to do things with our phones that Apple should support (i.e. sync in Linux). Apple's control over the phone is quite irritating. So, while I love the current technology, I wish it were more open source friendly. I'll be picking up a G1 or other open-platform phone on the next go-round.

Beans

It shoulds picky and annoying but would you be willing to record a video of the sync with virtualbox? I know its a pain, and ill understand if you do not want to, but im interesting in seeing the whole process, and how "well" it works. No worries if you dont have time tho, I completely understand.

I had actually been thinking of doing that myself.. but i figured i'd have to get a youtube account and do all that extra stuff.. and i'm supposed to be writing some stupid finance paper.. so I'll do it!

gimme a little while.

Beans

Thank you very much, please let me know when you think it will be done

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast