Thread: firewall GUI suggestions needed

Beans

firewall GUI suggestions needed

I just started running LINUX after years on XP. I'm trying to find a GUI firewall that will behave like Outpost firewall did on windows. The main feature I'm looking for is asking permission for applications to use the internet and the ability to then build a rule when something tries to get on the net.

Is there anything like this?

(For example, the first time I run firefox, the firewall should detect that /usr/bin/firefox/firefox is attempting to connect on port 80. Then I can make a generic rule that says in/out bound traffic on ports 80, 21, 8080, TCP are okay for this application.)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: firewall GUI suggestions needed

i think firestarter has this ability. its in the repos and is a gui frontend for iptables
    ======================================
    Explosion at pie factory in Huddersfield.
    3.14159265 confirmed dead !!

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion... Firestarter does allow me to add rules, but I'm looking for the app to literally alert me when something is attempting to connect out and allow me to create a rule based on what it's trying to do.

Example:
    Code:
    Firefox is trying to connect TCP/80 to www.google.com

-Make rule
    -Deny
    Is there anything that does this?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

right, i've done a bit of research and it appears the only thing currently capable of showing pop-ups is tuxguardian. it seems it hasn't been updated since 2006 and you may have to compile it from source (but check the repos first), but its currently your only option for pop-up warnings
    Explosion at pie factory in Huddersfield.
    3.14159265 confirmed dead !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there any particular reason why you want this feature? For most users the default protection is fine. I don't run any extra firewall or anti virus software.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion, ren.

@ad - I'm just used to it. I've been using windows forever it seems and you'd be surprised to see just how many apps try to connect to the 'net without your knowledge! Checking for updates, or phoning home, or who knows. This ability is very nice because it allows you to deny the action.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by graysky View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, ren.

@ad - I'm just used to it. I've been using windows forever it seems and you'd be surprised to see just how many apps try to connect to the 'net without your knowledge! Checking for updates, or phoning home, or who knows. This ability is very nice because it allows you to deny the action.
    Yeah, the diff is with Linux, you can see what the box is doing anyway, and sudo any non-compliant app into the pit of despair.
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base