Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid: Wont connect to WPA2 enterprise network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Intrepid: Wont connect to WPA2 enterprise network

There is another thread on this topic as well:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963379

I guess the problem has nothing to do with NetworkManager or Wicd, but rather with the kernel or drivers? I can't get WPA to work with either tool on my Thinkpad X61 with an Intel 9565AGN wireless chip. And other people seem to be reporting the same.

Connecting to an unsecured network works fine. Haven't tried WEP though.

lspci:

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1111
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 219
    Memory at fdf00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+
    Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
    Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 83-4e-36-ff-ff-3b-1f-00
    Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
    Kernel modules: iwlagn

iwconfig:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"xxxx"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

(the ESSID iwconfig shows came from an unsecured public network)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same problem on my EeePC 1000H. Not sure on the exact chipset, but it's Ralink-based, using the driver included with the Array.org kernel. Worked perfect connecting to my school's WPA Enterprise (PEAP-LEAP, MSCHAPv2) on Hardy (Array.org kernel as well). On Intrepid it also works perfect at home on my WPA2 Airport Extreme network.

My friend's Fedora 9 (Rawhide) laptop also running NetworkManager 0.7.0 connects without difficulty.

Beans

Hello,

I have the same problems.

Using the Kernel 2.6.24-19 and Wicd solved the it for me .

As Wicd did not work either with the kernel 2.6.27-7 it must be a kernel issue.

Beans

Re: Intrepid: Wont connect to WPA2 enterprise network [Solved for ME!]

Okay solved it for me. The new version of NetworkManager required the certs in a different format. Had to use openssl to convert the certs to PEM format.

So I had a PKCS12 personal cert, which I then extracted the CA Root, Personal CERT and the KEY into separate .PEM files. Then it finally connects. Would have been nice if I had knew of this ahead of time.

This information is posted somewhere for Fedora that uses this version.

John

Beans
    Distro

Re: Intrepid: Wont connect to WPA2 enterprise network [Solved for ME!]

Hi John

I have been following this thread with a lot of interest as I haven't been able to join my school's WPA2 Enterprise wireless network. Thanks to your post - I see some hope now.

Could you please share how you extracted the CA Root, Personal CERT and KEY into separate PEM files ?

Which file did you point to in the certificates section ?

I have a usercert.pem file given to me by my CA - could I use this file ?

Thanks,
    Anand.

Quote Originally Posted by John.Gaythorpe View Post
    Okay solved it for me. The new version of NetworkManager required the certs in a different format. Had to use openssl to convert the certs to PEM format.

So I had a PKCS12 personal cert, which I then extracted the CA Root, Personal CERT and the KEY into separate .PEM files. Then it finally connects. Would have been nice if I had knew of this ahead of time.

This information is posted somewhere for Fedora that uses this version.

John
    Macbook Pro 15, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz 1 G RAM, ATI Technologies Inc X1600 Graphics Card

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karlr42 View Post
    I seem to have the same problem, connecting to a WPA enterprise network using PEAP. After a few minutes, my laptop freezes, NUMLOCK, SCROLLLOCK keys flash. Looking at the syslog(dmesg?) I see the last entry is usually regarding ntpdate- a service to update the system time with a remote server? I've tried removing the package, but to no avail.
    Did you resolve your problem? I have exactly the same problem here with some message about ntp and a lot of roaming by the network manager (here is my log from the time of connection to the time of crash : http://pastebin.com/m7f915a7b). Nothing in dmesg... I tried to change the wireless driver but it still freezes. I think it's the networkmanager. When I have some time, I'll try WICD to see if it crashes.

Laurent

Config : Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n and a TX2524ca laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Following the suggestion towards the very end of this thread, I can confirm that if I choose the /etc/ssl/certs/Thawte_Premium_Server_CA.pem file where it asks for the certificate file, I *am* able to join the WPA2 Enterprise networks using network-manager in 8.10.

Previously in 8.04 it used to be the case that one could use any old .crt file in /etc/ssl/certs - e.g /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt would work well. After a lot of trouble, I figured out that since 8.10, *.crt files don't work with network-manager anymore, but .pem files do.

I hope this is useful to other people.

Cheers,
    Anand.
    Macbook Pro 15, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz 1 G RAM, ATI Technologies Inc X1600 Graphics Card

Beans
    Distro

Following the suggestion towards the very end of this thread, I can confirm that if I choose the /etc/ssl/certs/Thawte_Premium_Server_CA.pem file where it asks for the certificate file, I *am* able to join the WPA2 Enterprise networks using network-manager in 8.10.

Previously in 8.04 it used to be the case that one could use any old .crt file in /etc/ssl/certs - e.g /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt would work well. After a lot of trouble, I figured out that since 8.10, *.crt files don't work with network-manager anymore, but .pem files do.

I hope this is useful to other people.

Cheers,
    Anand.

Beans

I'm using a DELL Inspiron 1525

Same issue I couldn't use WPA Personal on a hidden network.

The only work-around I've found is to display my network.

After this change it logged in just like it should. Less secure but I need my WIFI.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know how the heck it happened, but I was able to connect to my work's wireless WPA2-PSK network. I haven't been able to in several days. I'm not sure what I did. I was using the wired network for a couple weeks, and then decided to switch over to wireless for funsies. It worked. I'll try again tomorrow. As an FYI the work wireless network is a hidden network.

Jim

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast