Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons why im switching from apple to ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Reasons why im switching from apple to ubuntu

Hello all,

I wanted to list my reasons for deciding to switch to linux only. Tell me what you think.

1) Price.

Dont get me wrong, I can easily afford the top off the line macbook pro without my wife killing me. However, I dont feel comfortable dropping 2000 bucks on the new line of macbook pros. 2000! its ridiculous. I have a dell m1530 xps with ubuntu 4gb ram 256 nvidia 2.1ghz, web cam, etc for a little over 1100.00 I dont see why I would ever want to pay soooo much more money for an apple product.

2) Tired of dealing with proprietary OS software, hardware.

I love the usability of Macs....much more than windows. however, macs still bother me with their new OS realizes that are released so often. greedy! why not just release free service packs instead.

3) Expensive software

dont even get me started

4) i want to support opensource projects

i truly appreciate the fact that I installed ubuntu hardy on my young teen friends pc that he thought was broken (because he couldnt reinstall windows cuz he lost the disk). now he can use it for school, games, ect.

Beans

Re: Reasons why im switching from apple to ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfirehawk View Post
    Hello all,

I wanted to list my reasons for deciding to switch to linux only. Tell me what you think.

1) Price.

Dont get me wrong, I can easily afford the top off the line macbook pro without my wife killing me. However, I dont feel comfortable dropping 2000 bucks on the new line of macbook pros. 2000! its ridiculous. I have a dell m1530 xps with ubuntu 4gb ram 256 nvidia 2.1ghz, web cam, etc for a little over 1100.00 I dont see why I would ever want to pay soooo much more money for an apple product.

2) Tired of dealing with proprietary OS software, hardware.

I love the usability of Macs....much more than windows. however, macs still bother me with their new OS realizes that are released so often. greedy! why not just release free service packs instead.

3) Expensive software

dont even get me started

4) i want to support opensource projects

i truly appreciate the fact that I installed ubuntu hardy on my young teen friends pc that he thought was broken (because he couldnt reinstall windows cuz he lost the disk). now he can use it for school, games, ect.
    I would love to completely switch over, but will have to wait until my next laptop. Just got the Macbook Air earlier in the year, and love the thin form factor. And it is impossible(for me anyway) to do a complete ubuntu install on it without the DVD player...
    Blog - pakos.me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile I haven't looked back... 1 year on Ubuntu

I switched to Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro nearly 1 year ago and haven't looked back. I keep a 10GB mac partition for dealing with any firmware upgrades or other meltdowns, but have used that partition only a handful of times.

I do load some "bad" non-free software so I can have the full use of my DVD player, but I use it to watch movies, etc. Even GIMP is getting pretty good as a consumer-grade photoshop-replacement. Obviously, for professional video editing or graphics work, I'm not sure Ubuntu will work (but there is ubuntustudio), but I use it every day and love it. I do some radio production work on ubuntu (just regular ubuntu, not studio) and audacity works great.

In short, I'm very satisfied and encourage my friends to switch!
    Ubuntu 13.10x64 on Thinkpad x220 with crypted / and swap

Beans

I too have switched completely to Ubuntu on my Macbook Pro 4,1 Penryn. The latest release 8.10 Intrepid supports all the hardware quite well, at least so far, although I'm having a little problem with Bluetooth.

OS X is very slick to look at, but if you want to USE it to get something done, it is simply too annoying. For all the expense and hype, one expects more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
    And it is impossible(for me anyway) to do a complete ubuntu install on it without the DVD player...
    Same here. While I love the look of OSX and run some OSX games on it (the good old Warcraft III and Diablo II amongst others....) the main reason for me to keep OSX is the DVD player (acompanied by an external drive to cover DVD regions 1 and 2 as I don't want to flash the drive codefree while I still have warranty).
    DVD-playback on Intrepid is so buggy for me right now that it's virtually unusable. VLC works but it has crappy deinterlacing filters, Xine (my preferred program) displays only completely distorted video in all driver-modes (excluding opengl which works but has its own issues) with atis fglrx-filters. Kaffeine works (even though its based on the xine-libs) but hardlocks my system when playing with the deinterlacing filters and ogle doesn't want to use digital out.

In all other aspects I prefer Ubuntu to OSX: Free, open-source software for every task (moving my evolution-database to OSX would be a PITA), much more freedom to change the look and style, repositories where you find the stuff you need and install it with a single click, the possibility to fix errors you'd otherwise have to wait until Apple fixes it...
    My machines:
    iMac 24" (8,1): Ubuntu 11.04 | Lenovo S12: Ubuntu 11.04

FSF Associate member #7570 | twitter

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfirehawk View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I can easily afford the top off the line macbook pro without my wife killing me. However, I dont feel comfortable dropping 2000 bucks on the new line of macbook pros.
    Um, would you feel comfortable dropping $1,299 on a simple new Macbook for me?
    DISCLAIMER: You have to explain it to me in the simplest terms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by zeller View Post
    Um, would you feel comfortable dropping $1,299 on a simple new Macbook for me?
    oceanfirehawk gives you a imaginary macbook and steve jobs gets a boner.

Beans

Who said anything about imaginary?

Suffice it to say, I love the new Macbooks, but I also love the Linux OS. I'm no mac fanboy, but I love the apple designs.
    DISCLAIMER: You have to explain it to me in the simplest terms.

Beans

I agree about the proprietary software. I really dislike iPhoto, it just creates a maze of folders and copies of the same photos, it's really annoying.

iTunes is o.k. I guess, it could have better visual options and some other things. It also tends to copy things and create more files.

I really like Photoshop, o.k., it's not Apple software, but some of the functions are really complicated and I would like to try something else too.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by n00b0.5 View Post
    I really like Photoshop, o.k., it's not Apple software, but some of the functions are really complicated and I would like to try something else too.
    I tend to find Photoshop better than, say, Correl Paint Shop Pro.

Anyways, I run Ubuntu now on my Mac Pro. F@H on Linux can use the 8 cores, but I can't get it to in Leopard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast