Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Conky Pidgin Python Script

Beans

Re: Conky Pidgin Python Script

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    New Intrepid based package only

Intro

This is a simple script to display buddy info from Pidgin. The script talks to Pidgin using dbus and allows templates...

There is a README with the install and attached here, I suggest you give it atleast a quick once over!

Basic Install

Method 1: Using apt

Edit your sources.list file by running this:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    And add the following line on the end of the file, then save.

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/m-buck/ubuntu intrepid main
    Now that is done simply run the following to install (answering yes to the verification question)

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install conkypidgin
    Method 2: Using deb file

Download and run the attached .deb file

Warning, this will not ensure you are kept up-to-date. Only method 1 will do that

Method 3: Using tar.gz file

Extract all the contents of the attached tar.gz file to an appropriate folder, and edit the conkyDeluge script to point to the correct location where conkyDeluge.py is.

Unless you are using a non-Debian based OS I don't suggest this. Users of Debian/Ubuntu flavour OS's should ideally use method 1.

Again will will not receive updates using this method. ONLY method 1 can do this for you

All further details on setup are orientated around the deb package based install, so may differ from what you choose your setup to be, if done using the tarball.

Usage Help

To use the script in conky in it's simplist form, you'll need an exec statement like this:

Code:
    ${execi 60 conkyPidgin}
    To use a template for custom output, I suggest you read the README attached, and take a look at the example conkyrc and template files that are installed to "/usr/share/conkypidgin/example".

You can get the current help options at any time by running:

Code:
    conkyPidgin -h
    or

Code:
    conkyPidgin --help
    Code:
    Usage: conkyPidgin [options]
    Options:
      -h, --help            show this help message and exit
      -t FILE, --template=FILE
                            Template file determining the format for each buddy's
                            data. Use the following placeholders: [name], [alias],
                            [group], [status], [status_message].
      -o, --onlineonly      Only show online buddies
      -a, --availableonly   Only show available buddies
      -i LIST, --ignorelist=LIST
                            A comma delimited list of groups to ignore. Partial
                            text matches on group will be ignored if found
      -I LIST, --includelist=LIST
                            A comma delimited list of groups to include. Partial
                            text matches on group will be included if found. The
                            ignorelist, if used, takes precedence. if this list is
                            omitted all groups will be included unless ignored.
      -C TEXT, --chattingtext=TEXT
                            [default: Chatting] Text to use for chatting status
                            output
      -A TEXT, --availabletext=TEXT
                            [default: Available] Text to use for available status
                            output
      -U TEXT, --unavailabletext=TEXT
                            [default: Unavailable] Text to use for unavailable
                            status output
      -N TEXT, --invisibletext=TEXT
                            [default: Invisible] Text to use for invisible status
                            output
      -W TEXT, --awaytext=TEXT
                            [default: Away] Text to use for away status output
      -M TEXT, --mobiletext=TEXT
                            [default: Mobile] Text to use for mobile status output
      -F TEXT, --offlinetext=TEXT
                            [default: Offline] Text to use for offline status
                            output
      -v, --verbose         Request verbose output, not a good idea when running
                            through conky!
      -V, --version         Displays the version of the script.
      --errorlogfile=FILE   If a filepath is set, the script appends errors to the
                            filepath.
      --infologfile=FILE    If a filepath is set, the script appends info to the
                            filepath.
    Development History

Development history going forwards can be seen here https://code.launchpad.net/~m-buck/+junk/conkypidgin

And details on the packages available from me can be found here https://launchpad.net/~m-buck/+archive

I have also created a new website, for now it is relatively sparse, but it does details my conky scripts to a certain degree. You can find it here: http://www.kaivalagi.com
    thanks for all your usefull work, i use the forecast script constantly.

would love to use this , but i dont use pidgin. have you considered doing one for emesene?
    Last edited by markp1989; January 5th, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    thanks for all your usefull work, i use the forecast script constantly.

would love to use this , but i dont use pidgin. have you considered doing one for emesene?
    I had a quick look at the source code for emesene and there doesn't seem to be a way to interrogate the app from outside of itself via dbus, it only seems to support plugins.

To be honest, I dont like the idea of implementing a script for a messenger app which only handles one protocol anyway.

Maybe when Empathy makes it's proper appearance it will attract the likes of yourself. I'll no doubt create a script to that at that time too, cause I'll be using it by then as well. http://live.gnome.org/Empathy

Beans

I had a quick look at the source code for emesene and there doesn't seem to be a way to interrogate the app from outside of itself via dbus, it only seems to support plugins.

To be honest, I dont like the idea of implementing a script for a messenger app which only handles one protocol anyway.

Maybe when Empathy makes it's proper appearance it will attract the likes of yourself. I'll no doubt create a script to that at that time too, cause I'll be using it by then as well. http://live.gnome.org/Empathy
    i understand, im thinking i may have to convert to pidgin now lol.

btw, thankyou for your conky python scripts, i appriciate the efort you have put in to them.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Hidden!

UPDATE

The following updates have been made:

• Fixed buddy status handling
    • Updated to sort based on activity in logs initially, falling back to groups then names after that in case no logging is switched on
    • Added --limit option to restrict the number of buddies output, works in conjunction with new sort method to produce a usefully sorted short list

@laurielegit - for the sorting of the list I went off log time stamp rather than size, so the order will be by who most recently chatted with you. Hope that makes sense.

The first post has been updated and the apt package will be available shortly

Chimo!

Beans
    Hidden!

[SIZE="4"][*]Updated to sort based on activity in logs initially, falling back to groups then names after that in case no logging is switched on
    hmmm i dont like that new kind of sorting :/
    maybe you could bulid an switch in, which controls it?!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by plueschi View Post
    what, if --limit is used sort the new way, otherwise as before?

Will take some doing, but I think it can happen...

Beans
    Hidden!

how about if --limit is used, sort the new way, otherwise as before?

This will take some doing, as the sorting criteria is built into the class that holds the data at present..I think there are more dynamic sorting approaches I can look at though...need to do some reading

Beans
    Hidden!

what about if --limit is used, sort the new way, otherwise as before?

This will take some doing, as the sorting criteria is built into the class that holds the data at present..I think there are more dynamic sorting approaches I can look at though...need to do some reading

Beans

Thank you verymuch. It's nice to use a program/script and know that the creator cares about it's users. And when you find that the program is brilliant as well, then there's really nothing that you can wish for. Thank you.

Laurie
    Launchpad Questions for Ubuntu

I use the latest release of kde. And yet I am still at peace with myself.

Beans
    Hidden!

how about if --limit is used, sort the new way, otherwise as before?

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast