Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox terribly slow after Intrepid upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Firefox terribly slow after Intrepid upgrade

I upgraded from hardy to Intrepid after using Hardy on this laptop only a few days. Firefox is terribly slow, and hangs/goes grey all the time. Or, I will enter text into an online form and it will freeze, so I press the key a few times, then it unfreezes and all the extra keystrokes instantly show up. Annoying stuff like this. Constantly I will be scrolling down with the arrow key, and it freezes, then unfreezez and scrolls all the way past where I wanted. Sometimes it just completely hangs and I have to kill and revive it. I have no idea why. I would use an different browser but I don't like konqueror, and kazahakase and midori crash constantly for me.

Beans

Re: Firefox terribly slow after Intrepid upgrade

Same here on a fresh Intrepid install. Terribly sloooooooow, barely usable. If anyone has any idea how to make it better, it would be nice.

Beans

Hi, I have the similar sounding issues and they started directly after I upgraded to Intrepid ibex

In summary both Firefox versions 2.0.0.7 and 3.03 seem to have the same issues. Opera however doesn't.

I have googled and also searched the forums and found several possible solutions.

Some of these point to a problem with the nvidia driver with javascript, css or flash.

Well I've tried with 177 installed and also with just the plain old nv driver in my xorg.conf file but to no avail.

uname -a

Linux blackbox 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Thu Oct 30 04:12:22 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hey guys, I had this problem, and i was able to fix it in my case.

So on 64 bit ubuntu, the flash plugin has issues, mainly that it doesn't really work all the time, because there is only the x86 (32 bit) plugin, and no 64bit version. I realized this was the issue with the web browsers after upgrading to intrepid because it was flash-heavy sites (cnn.com) that would cause it to hang and go grey, but not simpler sites (digg.com). Also, running 'gksudo firefox' will give you the errors regarding not finding the flash libraries when you go to those flash-heavy sites. I had fixed flash before the upgrade thanks to a script, but the upgrade screwed things up.

So, if this is a similar case for you, run this script below, which will download all necessary libraries and the Flash 10 plugin/player and *wrap it*, so it will work correctly with the 64bit system. After restarting firefox, enter 'about:plugins' in Firefox to check if shockwave flash plugin is installed, it might be at the bottom.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Script  created by
    # Romeo-Adrian Cioaba romeo.cioaba@spotonearth.com
    # Super minor updates by jason.melton[at]gmail[dot]com
    # Other minor updates by neried7@mit.edu
    # Released under GPL

#Must install Debian package 'getlibs-all' first:
    #http://www.boundlesssupremacy.com/Cappy/getlibs/getlibs-all.deb
    #This is a package that will grab libs, 32 and 64-bit under amd64 (and 32-bit only under i386.)

cd ~
    echo "Getting and installing getlibs-all"
    wget http://www.boundlesssupremacy.com/Cappy/getlibs/getlibs-all.deb
    sudo gdebi getlibs-all.deb
    rm -rf getlibs-all.deb

echo "Stopping any Firefox that might be running"
    sudo killall -9 firefox

echo "Removing any other flash plugin previously installed:"
    sudo apt-get remove -y --purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla libflash\
    support nspluginwrapper
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper

echo "Installing ia32-libs and nspluginwrapper"
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs nspluginwrapper

echo "Getting libs"
    sudo getlibs -p libcurl3
    sudo getlibs -p libnss3-1d
    sudo getlibs -p libnspr4-0d

echo "Installing Flash Player 10"
    cd ~
    wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_install_linux_091508.tar.gz
    tar zxvf flashplayer10_install_linux_091508.tar.gz
    sudo cp install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    rm -rf ~/install_flash_player_10_linux/
    sudo nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

echo "Linking the libraries so Firefox can find it."
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/

echo "Cleanup..."
    rm -rf flashplayer10_install_linux_091508.tar

echo "Done :-)"

#Enter 'about:plugins' in Firefox to check if shockwave flash plugin is installed, it might be at the bottom.

Give that a try, it might solve your problem. If you are *not* running 64bit, try reinstalling flash either via firefox plugins or via ubuntu's add/remove applications, and restart firefox. Let us know how you fare.
    Last edited by neried7; November 14th, 2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Changed script so that it automatically grabs and installs the getlibs-all package.

Beans

What is this getlibs command? I'm not familiar with it and I get a "bash: getlibs: command not found" error...

Beans
    Distro

you may need to install the package via 'sudo apt-get install getlibs'.

getlibs: Automatically solves dependencies for 32-bit programs on 64-bit
    On 64-bit systems it downloads and installs libraries needed for 32-bit programs and 64-bit programs.
    On 32-bit systems it downloads and installs libraries needed for 32-bit programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello

I too am having major issues even keeping Firefox runnign ( 64 bit Intrepid) this is the errors I get when running gksudo firefox _

ICEDTEAPLUGIN_DEBUG = (null)
    ICEDTEAPLUGIN_DEBUG = (null)
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXext.so [libXext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]

does this mean I too have to run your script you placed in this post? I checked my about: plugins and see that 10 is in fact running or rather is there with a yes beside it.

newbie here, so please excuse me if I am asking a dumb question.

thanks for any help , Opera will not work on my machine so FF is the ONLY browser option that I have as far as I know.

Beans
    Distro

That's the sort of message I got when i ran firefox in gksudo.

You may have flash 10 installed, but it's 32bit (there is no 64bit version for linux. adobe really does suck this way), and if you're running 64bit ubuntu, it will cause this problem. The script removes the previous flash installation, gets all the libraries and packages needed and installs flash 10 wrapped, so that it will work correctly with the 64bit environment. Try the script I included (it's never broken anything for me, promise).

PS: Instead of running all the commands one by one, copy-paste the whole text into a file (eg flash-10-64bit-install.sh), make it executable (chmod +x <filename>), then run the script (sudo ./<filename>)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Okay, saved it to desktop as a text file, with exact name you suggested, followed the steps you outline and now get error in terminal ~
    flash-10-64bit-install.sh
    i know it is something I am doing wrong,

sorry for bugging you all

Beans
    Distro

When saving the script, make sure it is a .sh file, not a .txt file or similar. Make sure you aren't including those brackets (<>), those were just part of the 'use some filename' parameter pseudocode. At the prompt, given filename flash-10-64bit-install.sh, change to the directory where you saved it (in your case, the Desktop), make sure it's executable, and then run it as root:

Code:
    cd /home/YourUsername/Desktop

chmod +x flash-10-64bit-install.sh

sudo ./flash-10-64bit-install.sh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast