Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else think the new banshee sucks?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anyone else think the new banshee sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    a pity foobar is only available on windows
    Agreed with that. Unfortunatly none of the Linux players can match foobar2000, and it will never be ported to Linux.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

Well I'm quite happy with Quod Libet on GNOME and even lightweight systems. It groups my music in albums and sort by artist. Exactly how I play my music. It's also very easy to search for what I need cause I've got quite a lot... There are plugins for grabbing metadata from musicbrainz.org and downloading cover art as well. And you don't have to browse by albums either, you can easily switch to folder structure or other layouts. Try it out if you haven't already!

http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/

Oh yeah, on topic I had hoped Banshee would be better by now. I don't want my music player bloated by lyrics and video and that sort of thing. I like it somewhere in between.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    and of course the cpu usage when launching a search query or scanning the library always means funtime.
    banshee sort collection 10 times faster than rhythmbox does the same jop. So i think twice higher CPU usage is not disadvantage. Also rescan library is not so frequent action. I don't wanna make holywar, but quick look banshee vs rhythmbox shows that rhythmbox has higher memory usage. But don't belive me, just compare youself, might be my observing fault.
    My point is banshee is awsome. One problem that i having now i wanna automate tags filling, and i can't find the way/pluging to do this job with banshee 1.4.2. Other points are satisfied me 100%

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm using Banshee (1.4.3) to play ~1200 tunes from my laptop harddrive, light use I guess. However, it is not without its problems. Banshee still does not keep my playlists sorted upon exit. Another thing, for KDE users like myself, there is a systemtray bug (https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=464429) that removes the banshee icon from there. The annoying thing about this bug is that it causes any notification window to popup in the middle of the screen rather than on the upper right (location of my systray), thus disrupting my workflow. Yeah, I can turn it off, but I like having momentary track popups just outside my focus. Additionally, the podcast extension (five subscribed podcasts) drives my core2duo cpu to temperatures approaching the surface of the sun, not cool. Too bad banshee's performance does not match its sleek interface. In my judgement, it is not ready for primetime use. I guess I can make an additional mysql database in amarok 1.4 for whenever I am away from home. Currently, amarok 1.4.10 with mysql runs my ~50,000+ collection flawlessly. Don't get me started with banshee's inability to handle my 2G ipod shuffle, completely worthless in that regard. Thankfully, there is a neat python script to cover that feature. *sigh*

Beans

My problem with banshee is that on any program window there are three buttons at the top right. The _ button means minimize it, the square button means maximize it, and the X button means close it.

In banshee, the X button doesn't close the program but instead has the program continue to play but with no window. If I wanted banshee to do that, I would have clicked the minimize button and not the close button. Not only that, but since closing the window doesn't actually close the program, if I want the program to stop, I have to go into system monitor and kill the process.

If the banshee programmers are going to go against convention and have the X button do something other than actually close the program, then they should replace that with a clear and obvious way of closing it. By closing it, I don't mean have it continue to run with no windows or icons indicating it's still running. What I mean by closing it is, to actually terminate the program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please start a new thread with your issues. Thread closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123