Thread: VMware WS 6.5 and Intrepid

Beans

VMware WS 6.5 and Intrepid

Hi folks,

I had 8.04 with VMWare WS 6.0.5, running an XP guest. Everything was OK.

When I upgraded to 8.10 Intrepid, 6.0.5 no longer worked since I could not find a compatible vmnet (and 2 other) modules. I upgraded to VMWare WS 6.5.0, and started my XP virtual machine.

Although the machine starts, I find that I am unable to connect to the network.

I check through the command prompt and see that my DNS resolution is OK. The Network Status indicates everthing correctly. I even unlocked (un firewalled) the network connection. Still I am unable to browse, and unable to connect to outlook (although that is on the intranet). I am able to ping my outlook server.

I checked and saw that my proxies are setup correctly, in short, it should work but it isn't.

I am using a bridged connection.

Help, please!

Thanks
    pvravi

Beans

Re: VMware WS 6.5 and Intrepid

I am running Linux Mint as host and XP Pro as guest. XP works fine. I added Vista and it too would not connect to the internet even though I had an ip and I could ping any website. I deleted Vista then added another vm, Windows 7. I get the exact same problem! On top of that, after it installs , the OS is fine (expect network access) but after a reboot, my entire system freezes up and I must do a hard reboot. I booted up my XP vm and it gave me an error about vmnet0 . I deleted the network adapter then re added it and that seemed to fix the XP issue. I have not attempted to start up W7 as I dont feel up to having to hard boot it....
    Running VM WS 6.5

darco
    Reason: no beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

bridged networking is a no go here as well
    1. A computer is a machine for rearranging bits
    2. The Internet is a machine for moving bits from one place to another very cheaply and quickly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

it seems bridged networking works over wired but not wireless, im almost 100% sure that wireless briding was working in hardy
    1. A computer is a machine for rearranging bits
    2. The Internet is a machine for moving bits from one place to another very cheaply and quickly