Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Mactel Documentation Planning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Mactel Documentation Planning

Quote Originally Posted by itismike View Post
    Maybe we can archive links to the older pages somewhere.
    The product wiki pages still contain the entire list of pages, perhaps that's a suitable archive?

Does anyone know of an easier way to edit the matrix? Going through the code by hand and taking out the ||'s is tedious!

Unfortunately, the ubuntu wiki doesn't have the GUI editor (otherwise it'd be https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...dit&editor=gui)

So I exported it to moinmo.in, and edited with it's gui instead (http://moinmo.in/4ct10n/edit/WikiSan...dit&editor=gui). A little nasty, but hopefully it's a one-off, and now the versions won't change often.

I've added the new simpler table, but left the old table there - take a look and see what y'all think: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moogman View Post
    The product wiki pages still contain the entire list of pages, perhaps that's a suitable archive?
    What product pages?
    [edit - neverind. I found them.]

Quote Originally Posted by moogman View Post
    take a look and see what y'all think: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages
    Fantastic! Really nice work, Moogman!

But now that I see the layout, I don't like a separate column for "Best supported release."
    Instead it can be indicated by a footnote, highlight, asterisk *, or other easily-identified mark within the normal columns of:
    Most recent release || LTS || Testing

Or do we just need two columns:
    Most recent release || LTS

On that topic: Who's to decide what the "Best supported release" is? Ideally, an algorithm could decide this based on the number of check-marks (, , , , ) a support page has earned, with a weight added for importance (fan & sensors = 10, Apple remote control = 2, etc.)

Realistically, those that maintain these pages will arbitrarily decide which version is 'best supported' based on their own experience and duke it out on this forum. In this case, I'd like to demote Natty Narwhal to the 'Most recent release' or 'testing' column as there are still significant open bugs with Natty.

Beans
    Hidden!

The referenced page suggests that newer versions do not work. Maybe you should replace 'Most recent release' with 'Most recent confirmed release'.
    E.g. my Macbook has been updated from release to release, from Dapper Drake to Maverick Meerkat, and works absolutely fine, but I have no idea anymore of what a fresh install nowadays would entail.
    So unfortunately I am not in a position to contribute to the matrix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

But now that I see the layout, I don't like a separate column for "Best supported release."
    Instead it can be indicated by a footnote, highlight, asterisk *, or other easily-identified mark within the normal columns of:
    Most recent release || LTS || Testing

Or do we just need two columns:
    Most recent release || LTS
    What happens when the best supported release isn't the most recent, nor the LTS (or the testing)?

On that topic: Who's to decide what the "Best supported release" is? Ideally, an algorithm could decide this based on the number of check-marks (, , , , ) a support page has earned, with a weight added for importance (fan & sensors = 10, Apple remote control = 2, etc.)

Realistically, those that maintain these pages will arbitrarily decide which version is 'best supported' based on their own experience and duke it out on this forum. In this case, I'd like to demote Natty Narwhal to the 'Most recent release' or 'testing' column as there are still significant open bugs with Natty.

I think it's sane to judge by the amount of ticks in the respective pages

And people are watching the wiki page, so I'm sure the 'best supported' version will bounce between a number of versions, before settling on something that everyone agrees on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by siepo View Post
    The referenced page suggests that newer versions do not work. Maybe you should replace 'Most recent release' with 'Most recent confirmed release'.
    E.g. my Macbook has been updated from release to release, from Dapper Drake to Maverick Meerkat, and works absolutely fine, but I have no idea anymore of what a fresh install nowadays would entail.
    So unfortunately I am not in a position to contribute to the matrix.

That's a fair criticism. I'm Not sure about the wording 'confirmed' though, as it may be read as 'fully supported' - which may not be true. How about 'most recently tested release', 'most recently tested LTS'?

My real goal was to reduce the amount of options, irrelevant to the majority of people - I don't want someone downloading Ubuntu 8.04 if 10.10 or 10.04 is better supported. Equally if 8.04 is best supported, then I think it's right to encourage them to use that instead of 10.10, regardless of whether it's officially supported by Ubuntu or not.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920