Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what's slackware like for the minimalist?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: what's slackware like for the minimalist?

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I wouldn't recommend source-based unless you have lots of patience.
    It's a spare, really. My goal is to use it for my "distro-hopping" desires without messing with my main production machine. So ideally I'll try out just about EVERYTHING with it, and then find that "perfect" distro for me and put it on the main.

At the moment I'm aiming for control, speed, and minimalism. I know I could go DSL or Puppy but I want minimalism in that as little is on my machine as possible while still keeping everything I want/need.

Arch so far seems about right, but it feels like I'm just at a midpoint between the "full featured" distros and the "control-oriented" ones. Gentoo seems like the ultimate in control and personalization, but Slack still has some odd allure to it I can't put my finger on.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

I wouldn't recommend source-based unless you have lots of patience.
    i couldn't stand evolve, emerge (or whatever the asterisks it's called) when i briefly used sabayon (thus, eliminating gentoo). does that also eliminate slackware?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    does that also eliminate slackware?
    No. Slack uses binary packages.

Beans
    Hidden!

No. Slack uses binary packages.
    Hehe..until you want to install multimedia players and codecs; off to compile the Slackbuilds. ;)

I like Slack. How could you not? It's the downright coolest distribution around, by a large margin. Pat is, well, he's the Benevolent Dictator for life, I mean come on! Slack is stable, because releases are slow, and it remains largely unchanged for about a year at a time, typically.

Having said that, actually using Slack as my main system would be too much work for me. Slapt-get is a neat idea, but it is not a true package management solution for me. (True Slackers usually agree). The Slack repos are tiny, and the adjustment to looking here there and everywhere for sources and build scripts always got old for me. pkgtool, installpkg, removepkg and upgradepkg are just too crude for me; I feel package management, and especially software installation, should be more of a 'no-brainer'.
    One last annoyance for me; I was uncomfortable with the percentage of what, in my experience, seemed to be fanboys among Slack users on the linuxquestions.org forums.

I like the Slack system itself (simple, clean, BSD-init, fast) except for these issues, which Arch happens to solve for me.
    If there were no Arch, I would use Slack.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans

thank you all for convincing me not to mess up my arch installation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123