Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook (5,1) hotter in linux than in OSX

Beans

Macbook (5,1) hotter in linux than in OSX

Hi

I was noticing that when in linux, my system runs way much hotter than in OSX.

It may be related to this bug? #262550

After some investigation, i noticed that my fans RPM didn't change during high load, it always stayed at 2000RPM, So i managed to change that to 3000RPM by using

Code:
    # echo 3000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
    have anyone else run into the same problem??

Beans

Re: Macbook (5,1) hotter in linux than in OSX

I have the same problem

root@macbook:/home/lynks# echo 3000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
    root@macbook:/home/lynks# cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output
    Last edited by lynks; November 3rd, 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

druggo, lynks,

those two lines explain a lot of problems. Do you have the applesmc-dkms package installed? Please start from there, and if the problem exists, I will help you solve this.

Beans

I have installed this packages from ppa mactel support:

lynks@macbook:~$ dpkg -l | grep gnome-power
    ii gnome-power-manager 2.24.0-1mactel3 frontend for gnome-powermanager
    lynks@macbook:~$ dpkg -l | grep dkms
    ii applesmc-dkms 0.12.1 Supplementary applesmc support
    ii bcm5974-dkms 1.1.0 Apple USB BCM5974 Multitouch trackpad suppor
    ii dkms 2.0.20.4-0ubuntu2 Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
    ii hid-dkms 0.10.2 Supplementary hid support
    ii usbhid-dkms 0.10.1 Supplementary usbhid support

thanks for all

Beans

Great, then we know what we're looking at. As I understand it, it does not work to set the fan speed manually. Is it always in conjunction with this operation that you get the applesmc error in dmesg?

Beans

i managed to change my fan speed manually now, by just echoing the desired RPM to fan1_min, not fan1_output sorry, my bad!, i am using running the latest applesmc-dkms.

the problem as I see it is that the kernel doesn't adjust the fan when the load increase..

when i changed to fan speed and then spammed sensors i got this in dmesg it only happens when i get a read error from a temp monitor (it's not frequent):

Code:
    [ 9793.138289] applesmc: wait status failed: 5 != 11
    Last edited by druggo; November 3rd, 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Beans

OK, not frequent here is nothing to worry about.

Regarding the fans, I realized the fan1_output glitch, but here is another thing:
    Code:
    intrepid>echo 1 | sudo tee -a /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
    intrepid>echo 3000 | sudo tee -a /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min
    intrepid>cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output 
    whereas
    Code:
    intrepid>echo 0 | sudo tee -a /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
    intrepid>echo 3000 | sudo tee -a /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min
    intrepid>cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_output 
    With no software fan control, I get the feeling one wants that manual value set to zero. What do you think? Any correlation to what you are experiencing?

Beans

and for reference heres my output from the same commands as lynks posted.

root@toben:~# dpkg -l | grep gnome-power

ii gnome-power-manager 2.24.0-1mactel3 frontend for gnome-powermanager

root@toben:~# dpkg -l | grep dkms
    ii applesmc-dkms 0.12.1 Supplementary applesmc support
    ii bcm5974-dkms 1.1.0 Apple USB BCM5974 Multitouch trackpad suppor
    ii dkms 2.0.20.4-0ubuntu2 Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
    ii usbhid-dkms 0.10.1 Supplementary usbhid support

Beans

yeah to be able to change the fan speed, one must set the manual value to 0 (which is the default one set) when setting manual to 1, the fan don't change RPM when setting the min value.

is it the kernel that should handle the throttling of the fan ? Or is there another process in intrepid that handles this by default?

having the fan running at the default's value of 2000 is not enough when having some
    system load...

Beans

I just ran a little experiment on my MBA.

With fan1_manual set to zero, I put the CPU governor to full throttle, then start a kernel compilation. Checking with sensors, the CPU temp quite quickly reaches 80 degC. At this point, the fan speed starts to increase, and after a while reaches the peak 6200 rpms. The CPU temp stays around 80 degC. Now, I stop the compilation, turn the CPU governor to power save, and watch the sensors. The CPU temp very quickly drops to 60 degC. After a couple of minutes, the fan speed slowly drops back to its idling value of 2500 rpms, leaving the CPU at 50 degC.

Now I switch the fan1_manual to one and repeat the process. The temperature reaches 80 degC, but the fan speed stays at 2500 rpms. I watch the temperature reach 85 degC, then I switch fan1_manual back to zero, and abort the experiment. The fan immediately runs up to 6200 rpms, and then slowly returns as the CPU gets cooler.

So, for those that have reported high temperatures due to low fan speeds: check the value of
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_manual
    With no software control of the fans, which is the case with the macbooks (fancontrol and pwmconfig does not work), the fan speed seems to be controlled automatically by the SMC without issues - but only if fan1_manual is zero.

Maybe the problem occurs when moving between OSX and Ubuntu via a reboot, which does not clear the NVRAM registers, but this is just a guess.
    Last edited by kosumi68; November 3rd, 2008 at 10:49 PM.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast