Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Macbook (5,1) hotter in linux than in OSX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Macbook (5,1) hotter in linux than in OSX

Quote Originally Posted by bash321 View Post
    thanks for the macfanctl! helped alot!
    should ask if mactel can do more testing???????????
    it should be located in the mac repistory for future releases!!!!!
    It's ridiculous why it over heats!!!!!
    btw work with 10.04! hopefully it will work in 10.10!
    Happy it get to use

I have mailed Henrik Rydberg and asked if he/they want to merge it in the repo but have not received a reply yet.

I've had no time to try 10.10 yet, but if applecms-dkms works as in 10.04 it should not be a problem as far as i can see.

/Mike
    Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    -- Frank Zappa

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bash321 View Post
    this aint related either i had similar problems booting ubuntu especially 10.04 ever since apple released an update for its firmware last year!!! it takes a long time for ubuntu to even boot, one of the main things i found that refit wont even boot usb anymore at all!!! on 5.1 macbook pro's. try a different cd or wait it can take a long time, it sometimes froze for me when i was doing an install. Also make sure you have the latest 10.04 iso image.
    I've had no problems neither installing or booting from CD. Have you tried to do Cmd-Alt-R-P a few times before booting from the CD?
    Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    -- Frank Zappa

Beans

its all good now since i have ubuntu on my mac! but now that i have this code for my fans in my mac! it is brilliant since i had been using ubuntu 9.04, 9.10 on my mac it always use to get hot so i never use to use ubuntu. now i can finally make sure my system is not overheating! this best thing about is that when an application freezes and is non responsive the fan speed goes quicker to keep the cpu cooler!

Beans

I have installed all necessary tools to try and keep the macbook 5,1 stay cold, or at least not to hot and it's a big improvement compared to a few months ago when I tried 10.04 on my macbook. My average temperature is around 60-65 and RPM hits around 4500. Yesterday I tried to copy some files from my external HDD to the internal but had to stop be because the fan went crazy and cpu and gpu temperature hit 100! I was seriously thinking this is the end of my macbook...

I guess there wont be any fix soon for the heat issue and cpu load problem? Was thinking about checking the thermal compound paste to replace it with new one and eventually ad an copper modification to the gpu. I've done this before with a broken gpu on dell xps m1330 and made a huge different in heat problem, so maybe it works for macbook as well? Just tired of this damn laptop. Can't believe Apple charge so much for hardware that sucks and on purpose makes the costumers in need of their software only...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you try the macfanctld which is in the Mactel repository?
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxopjemac View Post
    Did you try the macfanctld which is in the Mactel repository?
    yes I have it installed and seem to do it's work. Is there some way to check the so everything works like it should? Can I provide you with some information about my system to see if anything is missing or system is configured right way?

I installed the following so far

pommed
    gpommed
    macfanctld (latest version 0.3)
    applesmc-dkms

I have the option to install mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms and bcm5974-dkms, but they are for macbook pro right?
    Last edited by swejap; November 1st, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bcm5974-dkms gives support for the multitouch trackpad present in modern MacBooks.

mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms is the backlight driver in macbook pro's
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

so in other words I dont need them. I think its no use to run Ubuntu on Macbook to be honest. It way to unstable with the hardware. If using my macbook at the library for studies, the fan just makes to much noise and is very distracting for others trying to focus on reading. Also reading abut how people struggle with getting everything to function normally seems a bit to much work at the moment.

I really like Ubuntu and use it as my main operative system on other computers. But when it comes to Macbook 5,1 and Ubuntu, Apple really managed to make people not use any other operative system than their own. This sucks and I will sell this peace of crap laptop.

Beans
    Distro

A new release of macfanctld is out, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=65
    -- Frank Zappa

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627