Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interpid + Matlab (R2007b) experiences?

Beans

Question Interpid + Matlab (R2007b) experiences?

I am consider update 8.04 -> 8.10, but I am worried if Matlab (R2007b) runs ok after the update

So I would like to hear if anyone has some experiences.

Cheers

Beans

Re: Interpid + Matlab (R2007b) experiences?

Im running Matlab 7.4.0 (R2007a) Student Edition. I installed it with hardy in /opt/Matlab_740.

After the upgrade to intrepid everything worked like before

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Matlab 7.4.0 (R2007a)???

Beans

Matlab R2007b has Version Number 7.5

The upgrade should have same effect on 2007a and 2007b...

Beans

I'm relatively newbie in Linux too, so my experience might not be 100% accurate.

I'm using matlab 2008a and recently upgraded to ubuntu Intrepid. Matlab itself, simple m files etc work fine BUT Intrepid installs by default gcc 4.3 (c/c++ compiler) which IS NOT supported by matlab!

For several days now I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to add and use gcc 4.2 because I need to compile some files.

This will (probably) affect you only if you are using/compiling mex files, and not for standard simple m functions.

You can check which compilers are supported by your version at

http://www.mathworks.com/support/com..._releases.html

Hope this helps and good luck...
    Last edited by emmdarakis; November 4th, 2008 at 09:37 AM.

Beans

Yes, 7.5.0.338 is the version in question.

Quote Originally Posted by emmdarakis View Post
    I'm relatively newbie in Linux too, so my experience might not be 100% accurate.

I'm using matlab 2008a and recently upgraded to ubuntu Intrepid. Matlab itself, simple m files etc work fine BUT Intrepid installs by default gcc 4.3 (c/c++ compiler) which IS NOT supported by matlab!

For several days now I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to add and use gcc 4.2 because I need to compile some files.

This will (probably) affect you only if you are using/compiling mex files, and not for standard simple m functions.

You can check which compilers are supported by your version at

http://www.mathworks.com/support/com..._releases.html

Hope this helps and good luck...
    Thank you for emmdarakis. The problem that emmadarakis has is the very reason to ask the original question. It seems that no update goes smoothly regarding the compatibility, specially in case of Matlab.

emmdarakis: I think you could try to check if gcc 4.2 is installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gcc-4.2
    Next, it should be told to Matlab to use this version. However, I do not know how to do that (symbolic link, environment variable etc. ?)

Beans

ppm,

Thanks for the interest to my problem.

Yes, using an earlier version of gcc is possible (although it needs some tricks to overcome the default newer version during compilation - see https://sourceforge.net/forum/messag...msg_id=5570019 on the way that worked for me), and then everything should work fine.

In my case I had a second problem, but it didn't have much to do with matlab. Some conflicts in the repos I was using were preventing ffmpeg from being installed properly. And that didn't allow me to compile the things I wanted. Now everything seems to be ok...
    Last edited by emmdarakis; November 4th, 2008 at 01:43 PM.

Beans

I did a clean install of II and after that I installed matlab 2007b. Both 64-bit programmes. The license is correct and I first start the license manager. But when Matlab opens, it is all grey. It first says 'Initializing' and after a short time it says ready. I can use the start button to open different libraries and so, but the command window is grey. If I open the editor, it's grey too.

I first used Wubi to install Hardy and Matlab. Everything worked, but was not as fast as I thought it would be. Can someone help me out please? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: same installation works fine for Xubuntu 8.10 on my Toshiba with Pentium 4. I get the same Locking Assertion failure, but I didn't end up with a grey screen. On this forum I found the solution, it has to do with Java and it is fixed for me now.
    Last edited by Tonie168; November 6th, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ilkolinux View Post
    wow thanks for the info guys, i just got a course in matlab on my faculty and i though that i would have a lot of trouble using it on linux(or even switching to windows, god forbid) but it seems that it works just fine.
    In general Matlab + linux is a working combination. However, since the introduction of the java-based (?) user interface (from Matlab 6.x IIRC) you end up with problems such as indicated in this thread. I only hope M???Works support for other platforms finally starts to improve...

Tonie168:
    Good to hear that your problem was solved. Would you please link here the post/thread that solved your problem.

Beans

I am running 2007b on Intrepid 64 bit without problems... as long as I stay away from desktop effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast