Thread: cant seek/fastforward on mp3 with totem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

cant seek/fastforward on mp3 with totem

when i open an mp3-file it playes nicely, but in the bottom-left corner it says "Playing xx (streaming)" and I can't fastforward or seek (I can move the slider but that doesn't do anything).
    what to do?
    thanks
    Last edited by hachel; November 6th, 2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: I downloaded about every available codec, and now it works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: cant seek/fastforward on mp3 with totem

I can confirm this. On a default installation of 8.10, i installed the "good" gstreamer pack, and mp3 files would not seek. To rectify, install the "bad" gstreamer pack (gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Cool Re: cant seek/fastforward on mp3 with totem

I have spent way too much time trying to figure this out and haven't found a solution for Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix. Today I thought: well, I'll just remove the "good" plugins to see if it forces gstreamer to use the "bad" ones. It turns out trying to do this will also remove a ton of packages, including "ubuntu-netbook-remix". So I wonder if this has to do with this in particular. On my Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop installation I don't have this problem anymore.

Has anyone been able to get seeking in MP3's working under Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix? I'm considering doing a complete re-install just because of this one thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Re: cant seek/fastforward on mp3 with totem

Alright, I got it working! The missing piece of the puzzle was actually just adding in the "ugly" plug-in sets. For your convenience, I have included a screenshot of "gstreamer" items in Synaptic Package Manager.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: cant seek/fastforward on mp3 with totem

Thanx Neil. "gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly" was all I needed, while cleaning up my system it was removed.