Thread: NIVIDA Driver For 8.01

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

NIVIDA Driver For 8.01

During the online upgrade of 8.1 I received a message that there were no drivers available for my GeForce 4 MX 440. I canceled the upgrade and decided to read the forum to see if any other people had similar problem and found a number of people complaining about not having a video drivers for older NVIDIA cards. Is this true or can I still use Envy to install my video driver that has been used since FF after installation? I have been using the NIVIDA driver 96.43.05.

Just rather be safe then stuck with 800x600...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: NIVIDA Driver For 8.01

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    During the online upgrade of 8.1 I received a message that there were no drivers available for my GeForce 4 MX 440. I canceled the upgrade and decided to read the forum to see if any other people had similar problem and found a number of people complaining about not having a video drivers for older NVIDIA cards. Is this true or can I still use Envy to install my video driver that has been used since FF after installation? I have been using the NIVIDA driver 96.43.05.

Just rather be safe then stuck with 800x600...
    Funny you should say, I think I got some of the stuff, and in virtual box, the 8.10 video drivers lack so bad in working, virtual box plug ins won't even work.

I suggest all to stay with 8.04 for a couple weeks, then you know many solutions will be released
    Ubuntu+GNOME! Main Computer: 3.00GHZ, 2048MB RAM, 17" Widescreen monitor, Ubuntu 8.10 (64-bit), Windows XP MCE 2005 (32-bit).Resolution: 1280 x 720 Laptop: 700MHZ, 128 MB ram, 1x" LCD Montior. Windows 2000 PRO (32-bit), Resolution 1024 x768.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is why (for what ever the reason), 8.10 (October) Intrepid should not have been "officially released". Putting out new releases that don't play well with others, is Microsofts territory.

I know, it's Nvidia's fault; for draging their feet. But, who's at fault for losing users to this problem?

This attitude, where new users and retaining users do not matter, has got to stop! We can not be absolutely certain that open software will continue, even though it looks that way. Also, slow is no good. The ONLY complete and real solution to these non-free problems is seeing MOST people using open software instead. We can not get over that hump in this manner. Now, is not the time to do nothing and point to Nvidia. Although, this is a failure of Nvidia.

MUCH better (time saving) explanations and warnings have got to be put in place, when we see a problem like this. That, is the least we can do, for open software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That is a very slippery slope - we can't let a release be delayed just because $PROPRIETARY_DRIVER_VENDOR doesn't release drivers. That would fairly effective let somebody stop us from ever releasing, if they really wanted to.
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I really didn't want this to become a rant. I was just confirming what the message said and assuring that prior to upgrading that my video driver was available. Based on your responses I'd say no it's not and I'm glad the message appeared prior to upgrade.

As for the politics - I believe that should be expressed in Testimonials. As I indicated my concern isn't if 8.1 should have been released, but only that my video driver would work. I'd say just like every new release it's my responsibility to assure hardware compatibility. That's why I canceled the install and posted this question. I will gladly continue to use 8.04 and am in no hurry to upgrade, until system compatibility is assured. If NIVIDA is slow to release my driver, so be it... Hardy is doing fine and I really am pleased that the upgrade software warned me prior to installation - Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The new driver "96" for Nvidia is working and replaced my beta install that had some resolution setting problems.

wgrant
    That is a very slippery slope - we can't let a release be delayed just because $PROPRIETARY_DRIVER_VENDOR doesn't release drivers. That would fairly effective let somebody stop us from ever releasing, if they really wanted to.
    Rants and politics are not always exclusively bad. You are correct, we can't be held back. We also can't ****-off newbies. Even if some think it does not matter. It does. Even if they don't "understand". Even if it is unfair that Nvidia is non-free. Trying to educate everyone about non-free stuff (which is good to do) is not the only solution. Non-technical users do not care!

The question of the day is, what are we going to do about it? It seems to me, while we don't want to be held back, we are being held back.

The solutions are still forth coming. Yet it's clear to me, we must get over the hump (so to speak). Now is not the time, to not "just work". We need numbers. The more people using open software, the less non-free problems we shall have. That might be nearly the only real solution to this pesky problem. Frankly, I do not like the idea that ANY new and "official" release of Kubuntu is not done. I'm still fixing the same basic stuff, different ways (different day) on each new release and clean install (which BTW beats the heck out of "upgrade-managed" upgrading). You see, the fact is, our production systems should indeed stay with Hardy right now. Newbies are the very ones who will install the NEWEST "done" (K)Ubuntu; as a trial. Then they tend to run back to the status quo, they know. It's the devil you know, policy. That devil is not open software.

Point: The "status quo they know" is most likely a bootleg, faster installing and streamlined XP pro. Pre-installed systems are not the only threat. Those are the real competition. As I always say, the bottom line is, we MUST provide all real benefit(s) found there first. Plus then, we must also provide new benefit(s) that will greatly encourage people to change. Change is the most difficult. We must never be afraid to allow people to work the way they are accustomed! If this doesn't happen better, and faster (Kubuntu is the leader in trying) then we will be marginalized and the non-free problems may even grow!

Please do not lose site of that real "competition" or what ever you wish to call it. The Myth is, we are immune. We are not. Not absolutely.
    Last edited by Neobuntu; November 11th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.