Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intrepid "no battery present" on toshiba m305d

Beans

Red face intrepid "no battery present" on toshiba m305d

I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04 on many different forms of hardware, laptops, desktops, servers. I've also installed it for and helped many friends use it. I have a toshiba m305d and it took a bit of work but I got it running with 8.04 almost perfectly. However now (on 8.10 release 32bit) I can't get my battery's status to show up, it just says "no battery present". It will tell me when I have AC input though. It's kind of frustrating because it worked right away on the older 8.04LTS If you have any help I would really appreciate it , also I can't get the wireless (atheros ar5007eg) running well like it used to.

Beans

Question Re: intrepid "no battery present" on toshiba m305d

First of all, hi to everyone!
    I was wondering if your problem has been resolved. I'm having the same issue : Ubuntu 8.10 doesn't seem to detect my battery, but in older version ( 7.04,7.10 and 8.04) everything was working fine. I have a Compaq Presario v2610ca. It's very frustrating never to don't know when my battery will die.
    Thank you for your futur help.

p.s. sorry for my bad english, i'm french.

Beans

Re: intrepid "no battery present" on toshiba m305d

I have the same problem with the same notebook model. Power management is all FUBAR in 8.10. On a unrelated note, I can't shut my computer down. Choose shutdown and it reboots. Shutdown from terminal, and it locks up half way through the shutdown.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem with 8.10. I have a notebook MSI, and when the battery is plugged in I get a notice on how long it has until full charge. But when it is not plugged in I get no notice what so ever. Any ideas?

Beans

Same here
    Sony Vaio VGN-S460
    No battery. I tried to plug out/in the battery - nothing. Even worse - the battery is completely discharged and not being charged. The battery is old but worked just fine under 8.04. The battery issue is rather critical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by zyconae View Post
    I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04 on many different forms of hardware, laptops, desktops, servers. I've also installed it for and helped many friends use it. I have a toshiba m305d and it took a bit of work but I got it running with 8.04 almost perfectly. However now (on 8.10 release 32bit) I can't get my battery's status to show up, it just says "no battery present". It will tell me when I have AC input though. It's kind of frustrating because it worked right away on the older 8.04LTS If you have any help I would really appreciate it , also I can't get the wireless (atheros ar5007eg) running well like it used to.
    Here is a link for your atheros wireless:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=816780

As for your battery, same issue here. If you suspend and bring it back up, battery should be recognized. This is not really a fix, just a little info for ya. Don't ask me why it works, it just does. Mine also doesn't shutdown correctly. When I hit shutdown, it reboots! Everytime. Annoying.

Shane

Beans

Red face Re: intrepid "no battery present" on toshiba m305d

Same here. I have a Toshiba U405 (AMD64) & the battery status is always "On AC Power". Odd thing is, if I boot on battery power, it recognizes during initializing (text on screen) that it is on battery power; states it's on battery power & skips disk check. Once logged in, it still gives an AC Power plug symbol, but says it's on battery. Both instances still give no status (i.e. Percent Remaining) & terminal tells me I have no battery.

Another rather odd issue is this: 8.04 recognizes the battery but not the wireless Atheros card, but 8.10 does the opposite. Unfortunately, 8.04's kernel version doesn't support the ath9k driver for the Atheros card. I happened to find a script to compile the driver for any kernel, but it needs a connection to do so I'm going to try a VirtualBox install, compile with its connection, output to .deb and install to actual 8.04 installation. We'll see if it works!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by larytet View Post
    Same here
    Sony Vaio VGN-S460
    No battery. I tried to plug out/in the battery - nothing. Even worse - the battery is completely discharged and not being charged. The battery is old but worked just fine under 8.04. The battery issue is rather critical.
    In my case probably the battery is dead. Laptop does not charge even when the OS is down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

In my case the battery is not dead, it is new! However I downloaded the Jaunty Alpha2 and it seemed as though it recognized the battery! So when they get to a beta stage I may start running it. We will have to see. Intrepid has been nice, but not without it's fair share of difficulties for newer hardware.

Shane

Beans

I have the Same Problem Here. I got is Toshiba Satellite® M305D-S4830.

My problem is that the battery indecator does not show up. Also evry time I shutdown my computer, it restarts by it self.

I have tried different Gome distributions (openSUSE 11.1, Sabayon 4) and i got the sane problem execpt that i can shutdoown safely.

if any body got any ideas, please share us.

THANKS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast