Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing "application/x-font-ttf"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Missing "application/x-font-ttf"

I've installed Intrepid Ibex and, oh surprise, there are no truetype thumbnails. I've googled it and found that a string "application/x-font-ttf" is missing in Gnome configuration. How can I enable this? What's the TTF thumbnailer in Nautilus?

Beans

Re: Missing "application/x-font-ttf"

You can install the MS core fonts by installing the msttcorefonts package. To do this, enable the “Universe” component of the repositories. This is done by default in Feisty. After you do that, use the following command from the command line:

$sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

This will give you the core fonts, but if there are other TrueType fonts that you want installed, it is as easy as copying the font files to the ~/.fonts/ directory.

After installing new fonts, you will have to log out and log in again to be able to see and use the new fonts. If you want to avoid this, you can regenerate the fonts cache by issuing the following command:
    $sudo fc-cache -fv

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation No font thumbnails

I meant: Nautilus can create thumbnails from videos, images, douments, and even HTMLs. But how about fonts? In Hardy it was enabled but not in Intrepid. Why?

Beans
    Hidden!

gnome-font-viewer and gnome-thumbnail-font were depreciated just before the release of Gnome 2.24. I recently needed to preview many fonts and I noticed this. I guess we'll need to manually install (or compile) them to have this feature back. It's annoying, really, for other applications I've checked can only preview installed fonts (why would I install a font without knowing how it looks?)
    Last edited by em4r1z; November 10th, 2008 at 09:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Can't see fonts!

I don't know what's the reason why Gnome Dev group decided to DELETE features, unlike adding. Now we need any of unique Font Managers available for Linux, FontyPython or FontMatrix, both really horrible!

Could we compile only gnome-font-thumbnailer or we need to implement it within Gnome core libraries?

Sigh!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can't see fonts!

Quote Originally Posted by lsd View Post
    Could we compile only gnome-font-thumbnailer or we need to implement it within Gnome core libraries?
    Why it seems that the package that provided gnome-font-viewer and gnome-thumbnail-font is gnome-control-centre thus it might not be that easy to manually install them. I'm still searching for a possible workaround. Maybe other more experienced users will help us accomplish this.

It's annoying, really, I have a lot of fonts for different design projects and now I cannot preview them.

Beans

I agree that the built in font preview is a big loss. Have you tried the gwaterfall package?

Beans
    Distro

I understend you perfectly, I'm designer too. I use to work with Mac at job, but I don't really like it, Finder neither does thumbnails. Gnome (or Thunar/XFCE installing gnome-control-center) was perfect!

Please, is there any Ubuntu or Gnome developer reading this?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm not a graphic designer by trade but I thought this feature was very useful. It was especially helpful when sifting through hundreds of font files looking for a particular style of lettering. Rather than having to open each font to inspect it, I could just glance at the thumbnails and quickly choose the font I needed.

Please consider adding this feature back into Gnome!

Beans

Have you guys tried the gnome-specimen package?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast