Thread: Sound stopped working on laptop speakers

Beans

Sound stopped working on laptop speakers

I used to get sound from my laptop speakers and didn't seem to have any issues with it. about 2 days ago I put in a DVD to watch and sound worked for about 2 min then stopped.

I have looked everywhere online to find a solution and havn't found it yet. I did determine that sound is working but just to the headphone jack only. I can go to the Sounds prefs and play the logon and logoff sounds but only head it if I plug in my headphones.

How can I get sound back to the internal speakers? Some times if I turn off the laptop then turn it back on the login sound will work for a few seconds but cut off before its finished, will not do it if I just reboot.

I have a Dell Precision M65 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04.

Beans

Re: Sound stopped working on laptop speakers

I booted to the Dell partition and ran the audio test and full system test. Both passed. I could hear sound with each test. So its not the laptop its something in Ubuntu.

Is there a way to tell it not to detect when headphones are plugged in? maybe that is failing thinking they are plugged in all the time.

Beans

The same thing just happened to me. I also have a dell vostro 1400 w/ Intel based sound.

I booted into windows and the sound works there.

I was able to change the sound playback to OSS and I could hear the test sound however when I play my music it reverts back to static.

Let me know how you resolve your issue I'll keep on trying.

I however am running 8.10
    Last edited by dylansimpson; November 4th, 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: OS info

Beans

Its my headphone jack that is messed up. If I play with the jack by putting in some headphones an wiggling the connector a bit, sound will start working but it will stop at some point and I have to do it again. I am thinking that one of my kids probably pulled the headphones out one time and caused the plastic in side to crack or something allowing it to make a connection when there is nothing plugged into it.

Beans

Wow was just about to post about this, I didnt think of pluging my headphones, now i did and i do have sound, but not from my laptop speakers. ACER, bog standarf realtek soundcard (cant say what the model is now though)

Edit: the sound is a bit dodgy though, the test sounds under Preferences > Sound are twitching and die out in 3 seconds, and there's a constant hiss that wasnt there on my headphones when everything was working a day ago.

Edit: again, there is sound from the speakers but its incredibly low!
    Last edited by nrthguy; November 7th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.