Thread: Wine - any required windows packages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wine - any required windows packages?

OK here is the thing. Wine is working fine. I can install and run programs. However when I run them they are not working properly. For instance Cambridge dictionary can't find any word. I've come to the conclusion that I might need some windows packages such as .Net or similar. Do I need any of those with wine and if yes which ones?
    Dell Inspiron 6400 - OS's: Debian Etch, Ubuntu, Microsoft WinXP
    CPU: Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz
    VGA: ATI x1400 256MB
    Ram: Samsung 1024MB 533MHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Wine - any required windows packages?

Quote Originally Posted by KOTAPAKA View Post
    OK here is the thing. Wine is working fine. I can install and run programs. However when I run them they are not working properly. For instance Cambridge dictionary can't find any word. I've come to the conclusion that I might need some windows packages such as .Net or similar. Do I need any of those with wine and if yes which ones?
    Usually the AppDB http://appdb.winehq.org is a good place to check if there are any additional steps to get your program working.

If your program does not completely work, it does not always mean that something is missing, it just means that Wine has a bug which affects your application.

Is there any terminal output if you run the app by opening a terminal, cd'ing to the install directory and running it manually?

eg. cd ~/.wine/drive_c/cambridge/
    wine cambridge.exe