Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harddisk S.M.A.R.T failed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Harddisk S.M.A.R.T failed.

Have a HDD, that have being in a bad ventilated extern disk.

S.M.A.R.T failed because of bad wentilated air--flow or something and I wonder if there are something to reset or make a forced mart-test, or something.

/Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 16.04LTS 64bit, 16.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 16.04LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Harddisk S.M.A.R.T failed.

Your disk has 50 uncorrectable errors. So back up your files and try using the manufacturer's utility to perform a diagnostic and perhaps a low-level format. Sometimes external drive errors are caused by lack of power rather than just temperature. Try putting the drive inside a desktop computer and running the diagnostics including a short and long test.

Code:
    sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdg
    To view the results:

Code:
    sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdg
    Your drive (which is probably not /dev/sdg) can be found with:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks!! I have backed up the drive and empty it and put it into a desktop computer (Ubuntu 14.04LTS) Does Seagate have a tool for linux? What application does i need for smartctl? smartmontools? Can't find it in Synaptic.
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 16.04LTS 64bit, 16.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 16.04LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Does Seagate have a tool for linux?
    I've run SeaTools myself and believe that there is only a Windows version.

But, I've had two hard drives fail me this year, they were both Seagate, and in both cases, they suddenly crashed -- hard! SeaTools could not find anything on either drive, and I was unable to recover anything from either drive using any data recovery utilities.

So, I would avoid using the Seagate again as it's likely to crash on you without warning at any time.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

J Mark Phelps Just woundering if it was Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200.12? Died for me with click of death, and it seems to happend to other also, this year. Not used much at all
    /Azyx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Smart tools are is Disk Tools in 12.04, and in Disks in 14.04.
    In 14.04 Disks there is a tiny icon in upper right with more tools and it is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldfred; December 4th, 2014 at 06:53 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    Seatools can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)--it boots a mini-DOS session and you can run Seatools from there.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Just woundering if it was Seagate Barracuda
    As a matter of fact, they BOTH were!

Also, I hadn't mentioned that a relative of mine administers a server farm and they had some RAID disks crash on them, and all of them were Seagate Barracuda drives as well.

Seems these have a very limited lifespan and when that's up, they simply crash.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    Seatools can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)--it boots a mini-DOS session and you can run Seatools from there.
    Thaks tgalati. UBCD still exist

Anyway, manage to installet on a usb-disk

The problem is that the mouse did notwork in Seatools 2.23, andI did'n't find how to use keyboard.. Alt and underscored letter? Any way i run Seatools1.x now. .
    By the way does this text from Help, this that filling with zeroes are the same as low level format in this app? Try to read the manual now.

"Defective drive" can often be revived with a data-destructive zero fill data pattern or a low level format."
    /Azyx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Azyx View Post
    "Defective drive" can often be revived with a data-destructive zero fill data pattern or a low level format."
    Depends on why the drive has become "defective." I have found a few cases where, if the drive has some "bad sectors" showing up in S.M.A.R.T. Attributes as "Pending Sectors," then yes, sometimes, zeroing out the whole drive can "revive" it. In that case, the drive wasn't really "defective."

But many drives simply experience real hardware failures. In that case - no, you cannot revive them even by zeroing them out. You have little to lose by trying, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast