Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

Hi Allochtoon,

First in Xserver 1.7 and up "core" is deprecated. Just use "key etc.".

Are you using the default wacom.ko (usb kernel driver) and 0.10.5 xf86-input-wacom (the default X driver, wacom_drv.so, for Xserver 1.7 and up) for Lucid? Or did you update either or both of them?

Also what actions are you trying to get from these commands?

xsetwacom set 'Wacom Intuos4 6x9 pad' AbsWDn "key +"
    xsetwacom set 'Wacom Intuos4 6x9 pad' AbsWUp "key -"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm. I think I'm stuck. I've followed all the instructions to get my Wacom tablet (Bamboo Pen; CTL-460) to work, but I'm still getting nothing. I am able to pull raw data from the tablet by using:
    Code:
    :~/linuxwacom-0.8.8-8$ sudo wacdump /dev/input/wacom
    I have a feeling that there is a problem with how the data gets passed to X. I'm also pretty sure that when I run xsetwacom or xidump, terminal should not return
    Code:
    [xsetwacom/xidump]: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-xlib.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I am fairly new to Ubuntu, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am running Ubuntu 10.04, kernel 2.6.32-24, and xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.36 .

--KAN

Beans
    Distro

Hi KAN,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

I'm going to guess you've just compiled linuxwacom 0.8.8-8 and not xf86-input-wacom. Please see the Bamboo P&T HOW TO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for the warm welcome! Well, I recompiled xf86-input-wacom. Unfortunately, xsetwacom and xidump still do not work. However, on the much more important side of things, my Bamboo Pen now works! And that's what matters right? Thank you very much, Favux!

--KAN
    Last edited by KANahas; September 15th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Allochtoon,

First in Xserver 1.7 and up "core" is deprecated. Just use "key etc.".

Are you using the default wacom.ko (usb kernel driver) and 0.10.5 xf86-input-wacom (the default X driver, wacom_drv.so, for Xserver 1.7 and up) for Lucid? Or did you update either or both of them?

Also what actions are you trying to get from these commands?

• I removed the 'core' from the command lines.

• Since noting the problem with my touchdial (see last comment) i updated xf86-input-wacom to:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...r.bz2/download

i removed the package xserver-xorg-input-wacom from the package manager.

i tried updating the usbkernel driver but got warned it didn't support xorg 1.7??:

Code:
      Your wacom.ko is available under 
          /home/marco/Downloads/linuxwacom-0.8.8-8/src/2.6.30

NOTE: this package only supports Xorg server older than 1.7.
                You are running a newer version. 
      Please build the X driver from xf86-input-wacom.
      so i didnt install this module for testing. upon reboot i did install it. nothing changed except my script commands stopped working.

IN SHORT
      Wacom input is registered (be it flipped since i am lefthanded), pressing any button now puts the cursor to lefttop screen position but doesnt translate into a command.

After updating both packages to the newest version when running my script i get these errors:
      Code:
      Property 'Wacom Rotation' does not exist on device.
      Cannot find device 'Wacom Intuos4 6x9 eraser'.
      Cannot find device 'Wacom Intuos4 6x9 cursor'.
      Cannot find device 'Wacom Intuos4 6x9 pad'.
      The biggest problem now however, is since i am lefthanded, i need to rotate the wacom input, nor does any button work now.

• with these commands:

Code:
      I am trying to zoom in/out in Gimp, MyPaint etc with the touchdial; its a donut shaped ring which responds to your touch. This did work before. Everything else seems to work as before. Only the touchdial refused to work. Now i need to flip the orientation of the pad and programming of the buttons. I read about other methods before?

Am i using a deprecated method?

BTW im using 64bit 10.04.1

your help is much appreciated
    Last edited by Allochtoon; September 15th, 2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: updated drivers

Beans
    Distro

Hi KAN,

Good it works, progress! Xidump and wacdump are not included with xf86-input-wacom and neither is wacomcpl. However xsetwacom should work, it was rewritten for xf86-input-wacom. The xsetwacom commands no longer work with the old Wacom device names like stylus, eraser, etc. Instead they use the new longer more "descriptive" device names. Enter in a terminal:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    The output should contain the new "Device names" for stylus, etc. Just substitute them in, with the quotes, in the xsetwacom commands.

Hi Allochtoon,

The warning:
    NOTE: this package only supports Xorg server older than 1.7.
    You are running a newer version.
    Please build the X driver from xf86-input-wacom.
    is telling you not to use the X driver wacom_drv.so from linuxwacom on Xserver 1.7 or higher. It won't work. Instead you are suppose to use the wacom_drv.so from xf86-input-wacom which does work on Xserver's 1.7 and higher. So with linuxwacom after a compile you don't do a 'sudo make install' after the 'make'. However linuxwacom's usb kernel driver (wacom.ko) is needed and does work. It's telling you where it is located after the compile so you can copy it into your kernel's modules directory.

I'm not quite sure from what you're saying what you did. Did you install the newly compiled 0.8.8-8 linuxwacom wacom.ko? If you removed xserver-xorg-input-wacom you no longer have the xf86-input-wacom X driver wacom_drv.so. Did you then compile xf86-input-wacom by cloning the git repository? If so you run into another problem, there is a new dependency and removing xserver-xorg-input-wacom removes xserver-xorg-input-all, and vice versa. Which is needed. So you need to reinstall xserver-xorg-input-wacom which will bring xserver-xorg-input-all along. Then clone the xf86-input-wacom repository over your xserver-xorg-input-wacom. That will get you the needed updated wacom_drv.so.

Follow?

Beans

Hi KAN,

Good it works, progress! Xidump and wacdump are not included with xf86-input-wacom and neither is wacomcpl. However xsetwacom should work, it was rewritten for xf86-input-wacom. The xsetwacom commands no longer work with the old Wacom device names like stylus, eraser, etc. Instead they use the new longer more "descriptive" device names. Enter in a terminal:
    Code:
    xinput --list
    The output should contain the new "Device names" for stylus, etc. Just substitute them in, with the quotes, in the xsetwacom commands.

Hi Allochtoon,

The warning:

is telling you not to use the X driver wacom_drv.so from linuxwacom on Xserver 1.7 or higher. It won't work. Instead you are suppose to use the wacom_drv.so from xf86-input-wacom which does work on Xserver's 1.7 and higher. So with linuxwacom after a compile you don't do a 'sudo make install' after the 'make'. However linuxwacom's usb kernel driver (wacom.ko) is needed and does work. It's telling you where it is located after the compile so you can copy it into your kernel's modules directory.

I'm not quite sure from what you're saying what you did. Did you install the newly compiled 0.8.8-8 linuxwacom wacom.ko? If you removed xserver-xorg-input-wacom you no longer have the xf86-input-wacom X driver wacom_drv.so. Did you then compile xf86-input-wacom by cloning the git repository? If so you run into another problem, there is a new dependency and removing xserver-xorg-input-wacom removes xserver-xorg-input-all, and vice versa. Which is needed. So you need to reinstall xserver-xorg-input-wacom which will bring xserver-xorg-input-all along. Then clone the xf86-input-wacom repository over your xserver-xorg-input-wacom. That will get you the needed updated wacom_drv.so.

Follow?
    i installed linuxwacom's usb kernel driver (wacom.ko)
    Code:
    marco@allochtoon:~/Downloads/linuxwacom-0.8.8-8$ sudo cp src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
    installed: xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    xserver-xorg-input-all

latest git build of xf86-input-wacom compiles after installing xorg-macros 1.8.

rebooting now, should i continue using xsetwacom?

Beans
    Distro

Looks good. The xsetwacom commands should work for you now.

Beans

Looks good. The xsetwacom commands should work for you now.
    thanks so much for your help favux it works now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi All,

I have a Thinkpad X60 tablet. The good news is that the stylus works OTB; however, I'm having issues recalibrating the stylus once I rotate my screen. Because wacomcpl is no longer in Lucid, I can't figure out how to do it. I apologize if this was already covered earlier in this thread.

Thanks,
    J.

Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast