Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

Hi jomsa,

Great! It's working!

OK, let me try to rephrase. See if I get this right.

What you discovered is you had the xsetwacom from 0.10.3 xf86-input-wacom with the 0.10.5 xf86-input-wacom X driver. The 0.10.3 version was the first one included in Lucid, in alpha 3? That was replaced by 0.10.5 for the Beta, rc, and final. Do I have that right?

So you cleared everything and reinstalled the deb package xserver-xorg-input-wacom. That got you 0.10.5 xf86-input-wacom driver and xsetwacom and now everything works?

How did you determine the version numbers of xsetwacom and xf86-input-wacom? That would be very useful to know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

xsetwacom -V gave me 0.1.6 or something, and after asking around IRC someone said it should be 0.10.5 .. or something. After that i got instructions to purge Ubuntu of all Wacom related stuff via synaptic. And remove the installation packages that it keeps stored. And some strange folder, that i forget where it was, i think it was somewhere in my %home and hat files such as wacomcpl and such, removed that... Then i restarted and made sure it definedly does not work. Then went againt to synaptic and reinstalled the xorgie thingie back. And after reboot, xsetwacom commands started to work again. And it shows proper version.

Sorry i allready forgot what the IRC dude told me to delete. And dont have backlog, and since i didnt know a bit what i was doing while following his instructions, i really dont know better than that :S

As i understood it .. it was like the synaptic one was the right version, but it was overridden by some local / per user installation or something. Which was older version.
    Last edited by jomsa; May 8th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Hi jomsa,

Thanks. I think I gottcha. You upgraded and wacom-tools and xsetwacom from linuxwacom 0.8.6 was still installed on your system. Along with wacomcpl's .xinitrc in your home directory. He showed you how to delete them. That way the interference was removed. And then you reinstalled xf86-input-wacom with it's xsetwacom version, which is the Lucid xserver-xorg-input-wacom.

Beans

Hello. I'm trying to get the pad buttons and strips to work. The buttons are ok as long as I use a-z and numbers, but when I try to use , and . (comma and period) nothing happens.

Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos3 6x11 pad" Button5 "core key ,"
    Xev says that , has the key code 0x2c and that . has 0x2e. I've tried using the code argument in xsetwacom, but it doesn't seem to do anything:

Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos3 6x11 pad" Button5 "code 0x2e"

The strips doesn't work no matter what character I try to assign them to, but they do give a FocusOut event:

Code:
    FocusOut event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x4800001,
        mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyNonlinear
    This causes Compiz to show all windows, which is not what I want.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Beans

Hello everybody
    Im trying desperatly to get my Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch working on Ubuntu 10.04 and since I didn't get any help from the german forum, I decided to ask here (Hope my english skills are acceptable).

I've already read several instructions and how-tos but they are always very confusing for a new user like me. Also they are often for older version of Ubuntu or for different tablets.

Now what I need is an easy and lucid step by step instruction how i can install my Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx please.

I would be very very thankfull if anyone can help me.

Beans
    Distro

Hi himbert,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Your English is better than my Deutsch, that's for sure.

First you want to compile linuxwacom 0.8.6-1 for the wacom.ko. If you do it normally it will fail because the config picks up the /src/xdrv directory and tries to build the X driver. Linuxwacom's X driver doesn't work with the Xserver 1.7 in Lucid. So what you do is after:
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    you change directory again to:
    Code:
    cd src/2.6.30
    and then just do:
    Code:
    make

sudo cp wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

sudo depmod -a
    and reboot. That skips the X driver and let's you compile the wacom.ko.

The X driver for Lucid is Xorg's xf86-input-wacom. To get that you clone it from it's git repository and compile it.

This is all described in the linuxwacom HOW TO. Section 1 describes how to compile linuxwacom for the wacom.ko. You shouldn't need to clone xf86-input-wacom because the default version in Lucid is 0.10.5 which supports your P&T. There is a new gesture patch coming in a week or so. Then it would be worth cloning the git. This is described in Appendix 5. Just skim through the HOW TO and then reread the relevant sections. It's not as complicated as it looks, just a lot of explanation in there.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Great it worked! Thank you very much.

Guys I have updated http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom for Ubuntu 10.04. I have added Method 1 for editing Wacom options that works better than method that has already been there (I have left it under Method2 for people that have no luck with Method1). Please try and write here if it works, cause it should. Thanks.

Beans

I just got my Bamboo Pen & Touch and I'm trying to install it on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04. As of right now, I have no success. It does nothing at all.

It is correctly plugged into the USB port and I have restarted 2 or 3 times alread.

I have installed xserver-xorg-input-wacom

Code:
    xsetwacom --list -v
    returns

Code:
    ... Display is '(null)'.
    ... 'list' requested.
    Code:
    xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ USB Mouse                               	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Chicony HP Wireless Receiver            	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation        	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Chicony HP Wireless Receiver            	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Chicony HP Wireless Receiver            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    It does appear to be recognized as a USB device:

Code:
    lsusb
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 056a:00d1 Wacom Co., Ltd 
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 049f:008d Compaq Computer Corp. 
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 005: ID 15d9:0a41 Dexon 
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0416:5518 Winbond Electronics Corp. 4-Port Hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    But that is honestly a small consolation for the fact that it does not do anything...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Armence,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

You need to compaile a newer wacom.ko like I told himbert to do in post #537 above. You don't have to worry about the extra directory change he had to do when using linuxwacom 1.0.8.6-2. It now checks what Xserver is present and with 1.7 the build.in skips the X driver and will just give you the wacom.ko.

Hope this helps.

Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast