Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Wine windows and dialogs have invisible text

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Wine windows and dialogs have invisible text

Is there a reason you're running Picasa under WINE? There is a native Linux version available in their Google Linux repos so you can even install it with apt/synaptic.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Peng View Post
    Is there a reason you're running Picasa under WINE? There is a native Linux version available in their Google Linux repos so you can even install it with apt/synaptic.
    For the record, I'm not entirely sure that Picasa is Linux native. I installed Picasa using apt and I had the same problem. Regardless, it does use a wrapper function to execute regedit to implement the same basic fix as is shown here in entries 4 & 5.

Beans

After more investigation it looks like Picasa for Linux was in fact a modified Picasa for Windows with a WINE wrapper, same as with Google Earth. It actually makes me want to use it less as I find the label of being a Linux app somewhat misleading. Making it worse is that it seems to use it's own WINE installation rather than using any WINE install that a user already has, making it a real pain to tweak and maintain. If not for the less than wonderful alternatives for sharing images (Flickr is not an option IMO due to my kicking Y! to the curb last year) I'd forget even using Picasa. But that's just me. YMMV
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12