Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuttleworth Bashing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Shuttleworth Bashing

Read this blog post which really peed me off http://www.happyassasin.net/2008/10/28/why-i-don't-like-canonical/

Obviously the guy has no idea of who our SABDFL is and reeks of sour grapes. I do agree that Ubuntu is a hard act to follow because of the funding model but to try and insinuate that this is bad for the GNU/Linux ecosystem as a whole is just plain dumb. Competition is a GOOD thing and the tougher the better. That's when innovation really thrives because you know that your competitors are breathing down your neck. One of GNU/Linux's weaknesses is the amount of available distros leading to way too much complication for both the average joe looking to switch and making it harder for app devs and OEM's to come on board.

IMHO it will be a good thing if some of the weaker distros fall away as this will consolidate FOSS dev talent in a more focused area.

Beans

Re: Shuttleworth Bashing

His website is off line.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Oh well that's that then. I better remove Ubuntu from all the PC's I have every authorised to be installed on, sheesh!!!
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I see his point but unfortunately for other distros, Linux needs a big distro that the wider public can feel confident to adopt. Ubuntu is meeting that need.

There will always be people who want to go their own way with their distro of choice. I don't think Ubuntu will ever take many users away from Arch, for example.

I don't think sabdfl intended to swallow up other Linux distros, he just wants to fix Ubuntu bug #1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That guy is irriating, how about making "a few" comments on his blog all telling him how wrong he is?

Beans

he would have a point if distros depended on people buying their distro in order to survive. as they are offered free, he has no point at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eragon100 View Post
    That guy is irriating, how about making "a few" comments on his blog all telling him how wrong he is?
    I don't comment on such posts.

--

Mandriva sells the distro and is complaining they can't compete with free.

I see his point in that Canonical has more money, but it's an open market.

If I would have hit the jackpot as Mark has done, I would be doing the same thing he is doing.

I'm pretty sure he'll never read this, but I would like to thank Mark for Ubuntu and Canonical.

Beans

Everyone (I hope) remembers that Mandriva was arguably the most popular distro when it was fully free but started being a failure when it decided selling the distro, because of this pour decision many developers dropped it which is the worst thing can happen to a distro.
    We clearly don't want such decisions inside Canonical/Ubuntu, and Mark Shuttleworth kinda guarantees it through the "Ubuntu promise". Fortunately Mark knows that for one to succeed one cannot be either fully opened or fully closed, one must apply both things as needed, rationally. One example: if you're fully open (listed on a stock exchange) you either can be bought (i.e. embraced-enhanced-extinguished by a M$-like company) or applied other well known dirty tricks to bring you down in a clever fashion, thus there must be a 'benevolent dictator' who keeps an eye on all these issues and fortunately there is one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    i don't comment on such posts.

--

mandriva sells the distro and is complaining they can't compete with free.

I see his point in that canonical has more money, but it's an open market.

If i would have hit the jackpot as mark has done, i would be doing the same thing he is doing.

I'm pretty sure he'll never read this, but i would like to thank mark for ubuntu and canonical.
    +1 !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast