Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Firefox 1.5 Backport

Today's the big day for Firefox, so I wanna address this before I get flooded with requests for it:

ONE LINE SUMMARY:
    It's going to be a while before Firefox 1.5 is officially backported.

RATIONALE
    Firefox 1.5 marks a major change in Firefox relative to the 1.0.x series. Backporting this big a change has never been done in Backports history, and as a result the migration needs to be treated with care... The new Firefox package threatens compatibility with existing components, from the Ubuntu-bundled Totem plugins to user installed extensions and system locale packages. In addition, how security updates to the Firefox 1.5 series needs to be addresses, as it seems like the Ubuntu security team will try their best to avoid backporting 1.5 themselves (IMO a very good decision for stability/compatibility reasons).

The backporting of Firefox needs to be done in stages. First off, there will be NO EXPERIMENTAL PACKAGES released before 1.5 final is in Dapper.

After that, there will be a rough closed-door experimentation time by Backports team members to make sure the Dapper packages do not break any system too extensively.

Third, the Backports team will release experimental packages for early adopters and testers once the Dapper packages are confirmed not to be too dangerous...

Finally, if all goes well, Firefox 1.5 will be filed to James Troup for backporting

This thread is locked and only updated by me periodically to keep you guys informed on our process. You can subscribe to this thread if you're really obsessive-compulsive about it...

FINAL FINAL FINAL UPDATE:

A backport will not be done for Firefox 1.5 because of compatibility issues with introducing a new browser, both to the rest of the Ubuntu Breezy platform and to users with heavily customized Firefox setups.

Those who wish to use Firefox 1.5 are encouraged to download official binaries from mozilla.com and unpack them into their home directories -- a very simple, pure graphical process.
    Last edited by jdong; December 15th, 2005 at 11:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Re: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Music is the sedative for mind...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Please read the post before replying... I said that there will be nothing until it is in DAPPER.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Good luck backporting it (to the team )
    A freelancer | The GIMP Compilation

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gah! Windows users get all the fun first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

UPDATE 1: 1.5 released today, identical to rc3.

1.5RC3 Dapper packages still not perfectly stable, and also currently evaluating exactly what packages I need to recompile...

UPDATE 2: Prelim list
    UPDATE 3: Final list of source package depending on Firefox:

Code:
    jdong@shuttle:~$ (apt-cache rdepends firefox && apt-cache rdepends mozilla-firefox) | sed 's/ //g;s/^|//g;' | sort | grep -v "^ReverseDepends" | sort | uniq | xargs apt-cache showsrc | grep "^Package" | sed 's/Package: //g' | sort | uniq | grep -v "buntu-meta$"
    bookmarkbridge
    checky
    ctxextensions
    devhelp
    dhelp
    diggler
    djvulibre
    dpkg-www
    endeavour
    epiphany-browser
    epydoc
    firefox
    flashplugin-nonfree
    galeon
    gecko-sharp
    gecko-sharp2
    gnome-app-install
    j2se1.4-amd64
    j2se1.4-i586
    librsvg2
    liferea
    livehttpheaders
    meta-j2re1.4-mozilla
    mozilla-bonobo
    mozilla-firefox-locale-all
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ar
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ca
    mozilla-firefox-locale-el
    mozilla-firefox-locale-eu
    mozilla-firefox-locale-it
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ja
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ko
    mozilla-firefox-locale-nb
    mozilla-firefox-locale-tr
    mozilla-firefox-locale-uk
    mozilla-mozgest
    mozilla-stumbleupon
    mozilla-thunderbird
    mozplugger
    mplayerplug-in
    nip2
    nukeimage
    nvu
    openoffice.org2
    openoffice.org2-amd64
    tabextensions
    venkman
    vlc
    wysihtml
    xfig
    yelp
    51 source packages in total.
    Most likely all of these need to be rebuilt to say the least, if they're compatible with 1.5 at the source level at all... I'm hoping people are seeing why backporting Firefox 1.5 is going to be such a major job
    Last edited by jdong; November 30th, 2005 at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Is it not the policy of the security team to provide the latest Firefox versions as security updates? Remeber the horrid conflicts between Hoary security and backports repositories with Firefox 1.07 some months back...
    Last edited by GTvulse; November 30th, 2005 at 02:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dradul
    Is it not the policy of the security team to provide the latest Firefox versions as security updates? Remeber the horrid conflicts between Horay security and backports repositories with Firefox 1.07 some months back...
    OMG don't remind me

Security team established a long solid record of backporting changes without incrementing version number (even if the packages were source level equivalent to later upstream version) for nearly 9 months, and all of a sudden one day decided to issue a bumped version starting with Firefox 1.0.6.

That's why this time we're taking it slowly. I've asked devs several times about Security Team's plans for security updates to Firefox for the rest of Breezy's security support cycle, and have yet to receive official word, though peers tell me that they will fight importing 1.5 to breezy-security to the death basically...

That'll be something decided between phase 2 and 3.

Beans

Re: Integrating FF 1.5 into the system?

I am also interested in a Firefox 1.5 backport for Ubuntu Breezy, now that the official 1.5 version is out.

Will we see an official backport of this important updates used by thousands of web surfers using Ubuntu Linux?

Beans

Thanks for the care and attention to detail on taking this backport project.
    Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast