Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Re: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Quote Originally Posted by towsonu2003
    I filed this one a while ago, and thought I should mention it here https://launchpad.net/products/firefox/+bug/32083
    I get an error when visiting the page:
    "Sorry, you don't have permission to access this page."
    even though I'm logged in...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Limulus
    I get an error when visiting the page:
    "Sorry, you don't have permission to access this page."
    even though I'm logged in...
    my bad. try again now...

Beans

Great forum... I love that I had to type in my birthday to register... I'm sure that is critical info here.

ANYWAY.. background: I'm a long time linux "hobby user" starting with slackware in 1996.. etc. etc. I use windows (need my audio production apps plus anything else that comes out) and mac (love the powerbook) but I also use linux for fun.

There was a lot of fuss about ubuntu online so I decided to check it out (currently loving knoppix but I never did like kde...)

I booted the live cd... first thing I did (after a bit of poking around) was launch firefox (GREAT default gnome config btw!)... and I decided to install a theme, just to see that all the little bits and pieces really do work on this thing. Of course, I got the error - sorry, theme requires 1.5... and that was it. That was the deal breaker, after less than a minute of use. Knoppix... I <3 you.

Now, it's great that I can go back to knoppix (installed... k2hd) and apt-get myself whatever new apps come out, but I am always looking at linux for situations where windows apps are not needed... and these major updates (firefox, open office, etc.) just absolutely must be supported. Soon. It's a deal breaker.

So for the good of your own distro, someone figure out how to support this stuff- easily. I poked around some of the package management and was really shocked to not find firefox 1.5 in there.

This concludes my advice to ubuntu developers... maybe I'll be back some time if things improve. In the mean time, knoppix reigns supreme!! for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cphuntington97
    So for the good of your own distro, someone figure out how to support this stuff- easily. I poked around some of the package management and was really shocked to not find firefox 1.5 in there.
    I take it you're using a Breezy Live CD? Dapper will have FF 1.5 when its released (originally mid-April, but now looking like June 1st or so) and the Flight CDs for it (~alpha versions) are already using version 1.5

See http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I feel a little awkward saying this since i've only been an Ubuntu user for the last few weeks, but something no one seems to have mentioned in this thread is security. I'm a regular Mac tester of Firefox (and TB for the last 12 months), there have been a number of security issues that have been cleared up with both the 1.0 and 1.5 releases, including the release of 1.5.0.2. In fact, if you take a look on the Mozilla site or follow any of the developer blogs (sorry, i can't find the page right now), the Mozilla folks are recommending all users upgrade to the 1.5 releases from the 1.0 versions. They have also been forthright on the approximately 30-40 security fixes the release includes. I should also mention that Thunderbird should be updated for the same reason.

The incremental release versions of both Firefox and Thunderbird are not for 'the bleeding edge', they are in fact bug fix and security fix releases.

Another thing that has been mentioned in this thread is the use of Automatix. Automatix is great for those who are on Intel/x86 architectures, for those of us on PPC, i'm afraid we're SOL. In my few weeks of dual booting between OS X and Ubuntu, i've been really impressed with Ubuntu. However, and i don't really mean this as a slight on anyone, i do wish more support was given to what is the default Ubuntu browser - if for no other reason than the peace of mind of its users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by godard
    the Mozilla folks are recommending all users upgrade to the 1.5 releases from the 1.0 versions.
    Even as of December 2005, most Ubuntu Forum members were using 1.5.

Beans

bugs were reported, but devels chose not to patch 1.0.7. Instead, they waited for the 1.0.8 released by mozilla. I don't like this policy either, but it seems there is little to be done by us the users...

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/32083 (later marked as duplicate of: )
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...fox/+bug/30976

PS. afaik, 1.0.8 resolves all security issues found in 1.0.7, though I'm not sure.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718