Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Firefox 1.5 Backport

I just want to say a word to Ubuntu Backport team and the Dev.

Keep up your good work. I love you guys You are the best.
    Just take your time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Firefox 1.5 RC 3 is avaible on Dapper repositories (http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/). Why the same cannot be done in Breezy? It only differs in three packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Because there are a couple of packages that depend on firefox and will break in breezy because of the newer firefox version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your hard work. I will be watching for 1.5 to show up in the repositories!
    notebook: 13", i5 x2, SSD, 4GB ram, nvidia 310m. dell vostro 3300.
    desktop: AMD phenom, nividia quadro FX 5800, 8GB ram, raptor HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus
    Firefox 1.5 RC 3 is avaible on Dapper repositories (http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/). Why the same cannot be done in Breezy? It only differs in three packages.
    A couple posts up, I did post SourceForge URLS to where you can get that package backported to Breezy. I also posted a list of 50+ package source archives that need to be recompiled in order for Firefox to run without breakage.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

I just downloaded firefox 1.5 from the mozilla site and it works fine on breezy. I don't see what the big deal is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

And what would happen if a major security hole is discovered in 1.0.7 ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tenshu
    And what would happen if a major security hole is discovered in 1.0.7 ?
    The Security Team would backport the proper fix and release a patched package. Considering that the actual version installed in your computer is 1.0.7-0ubuntu20 you can be sure that has already happened more than once.
    Last edited by GTvulse; December 1st, 2005 at 09:34 PM.

Beans

Hi all, I just wanted to drop by the fact that I am an epiphany user mainly because Firefox 1.0.x series were such a performance hog, and I decided to give 1.5 a try.

I accidentally clicked the download link on mozilla's website actually (honest!) and found out that it was simply a tar.gz containing the firefox directory. That meant a simple install just like in my old firebird on windows days! so if you guys need it, although this is not going to install it system-wide, you can just extract that somewhere and run "firefox" (that's the name of the executable) inside that folder. Making a gnome launcher for that took me only a few seconds. And I have to say I'm impressed by the speed. It no longer lags while switching tabs.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo
    Hi all, I just wanted to drop by the fact that I am an epiphany user mainly because Firefox 1.0.x series were such a performance hog, and I decided to give 1.5 a try.

I accidentally clicked the download link on mozilla's website actually (honest!) and found out that it was simply a tar.gz containing the firefox directory. That meant a simple install just like in my old firebird on windows days! so if you guys need it, although this is not going to install it system-wide, you can just extract that somewhere and run "firefox" (that's the name of the executable) inside that folder. Making a gnome launcher for that took me only a few seconds. And I have to say I'm impressed by the speed. It no longer lags while switching tabs.
    you also need to have libstdc++5 installed.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install libstdc++5

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast