Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Beans

Re: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado
    Yes, I too still use 1.0.7, but again that's not the point. Firefox 1.5 has some significant improvements, especially memory use on Ubuntu stable as I understand it, as well as new security features. Telling people to upgrade their whole system to get a new browser sounds like a tactic of that other major operating system.

Just make a package to install Firefox 1.5 in some out of the way location and I think very many people will be very happy. I know I will.
    yes, it might be a good idea, like it has been done with java or some other non-free package, when you download and execute a script which then download and put the programme in say /opt. Though I am not sure how easy it might be to implement...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Post Re: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Well, here's a script that I just wrote to do just that. It's based on the instructions found here. Make sure you run the script as root (i.e., using sudo). Anyone that sees something I didn't do right, feel free to correct it and upload a new version.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

cd /opt

# Make sure libstdc++5 (and wget) dependancy has been met
    apt-get install libstdc++5 wget

# Download the Firefox Binary archive from Mozilla.org
    wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-1.5.tar.gz

# Unpack the archive in /opt
    tar -zvxf firefox-1.5.tar.gz

# Remove the now un-needed archive file
    rm -f firefox-1.5.tar.gz

# Symbolically link the current Firefox plugins to the new Firefox plugins dir
    cd /opt/firefox/plugins/
    ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/* .

# Remove link to incompatible totem plugin
    rm libtotem_mozilla.*

# Move old symlink out of the way
    mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu

# Make sure future Firefox updates (through apt)  don't overwrite the symlink we create
    dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox

# Create new symlink to Firefox 1.5
    ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

# Backup a copy of the current Firefox profile
    cp -rf ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.bak

# Fix Firefox 1.5 problem
    touch /opt/firefox/extensions/talkback@mozilla.org/chrome.manifest

# Create an uninstall script
    touch /usr/sbin/firefox-1.5-remove
    echo dpkg-divert --remove /usr/bin/firefox >> /usr/sbin/firefox-1.5-remove
    echo rm -f /usr/bin/firefox >> /usr/sbin/firefox-1.5-remove
    echo mv /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu /usr/bin/firefox >> /usr/sbin/firefox-1.5-remove
    echo rm -rf /opt/firefox >> /usr/sbin/firefox-1.5-remove
    chmod +x /usr/sbin/firefox-1.5-remove

# Tell the user about uninstalling
    echo
    echo To uninstall, run 'sudo /usr/sbin/firefox-1.5-remove' 
    echo
    echo A backup of your profile has been made to ~/.mozilla.bak
    echo

# Wait 5 seconds, then exit script
    sleep 5s
    exit
    Last edited by jasutton; December 25th, 2005 at 10:05 PM.

Beans

I have my own deb here: http://www.students.oamk.fi/~t3vasa02/ubuntu/

It works ok if you uninstall 1.07 before it..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Building a slotted 1.5 package would not be smart, from my experience, because you never know when Debian/Ubuntu devs will make an unexpected packaging change, spelling upgrade headaches for everyone. Seriously -- You can install Firefox 1.5 with a few mouse clicks in your home directory. It's not hard to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yaztromo
    Gah! Windows users get all the fun first
    thats why it doesn't work properly...

Beans

It took me about 20 minutes to install FF1.5.
    And WOW!!! It's SO FAST!!!
    MUCH FASTER than FF 1.07 on Ubuntu.
    I would have installed it much earlier if I knew the difference before.

So I suggest that most people should just follow the
    instructions on the wiki to install FF1.5.
    It really worths the time you spend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

***This is not a request, it's a comment***

I can clearly understand from reading this thread that there is some major work to be done before FF1.5 is added to backports.

But, as a casual linux user that has been recruiting Windows users to Ubuntu/Kubuntu this concerns me that policies that only linux devs and linux gurus understand are going to make things difficult for regular users and make it difficult to update to the latest released version of an application as important as Firefox. I thought ubuntu was supposed to be easy to use???

This may sound stupid, but in the mean time, why can't a .deb that installs FF1.5 binary from mozilla, without affecting the current Ubuntu Firefox version, be added to the repos??? This would make it simple for casual users and it could be removed later when the backport is complete.
    Last edited by jbus; January 4th, 2006 at 10:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jbus
    This may sound stupid, but in the mean time, why can't a .deb that installs FF1.5 binary from mozilla, without affecting the current Ubuntu Firefox version, be added to the repos??? This would make it simple for casual users and it could be removed later when the backport is complete.
    This is a question you'll have to ask Ubuntu developers. I cannot answer it for them, but what you say does make sense. Most likely it's just the amount of work involved to do so, but that's a pretty lousy excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbus
    On testing purpose, you can make a .deb, using the instructions in the wiki, that installs a binary ff1.5 from mozilla. I tried, but there were lots of issue :
    - totem plugin is not working anymore
    - thunderbird still opens ff1.0
    - no gnome integration

so i think it would create more issues than backporting ff1.5
    Last edited by mr_pouit; January 5th, 2006 at 05:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I sure hope ubuntu figures a way around this type of problem. I like (k)ubuntu's simplicity and ease of use and that's why I have been recommending it to other people, but it does not make sense that users are expected to be stuck with older versions of applications until the next release. This is probably not a problem with minor updates but with a big update on a major app like FF1.5 it seems pretty riduculous that there is not a way around it that is simple for regular users.

The moment I tell my mother, sister, cousin, grand parents and friends to follow instructions on a "wiki" or to install a binary from Mozilla that kills all their plugins in order to upgrade their browsers to the latest version, they are going to be wishing they hadn't switched from Windows.

If I can have a bleeding edge version of SUSE (SLICK) on my laptop that gives me all the latest and greatest software KDE3.5, FF1.5, Etc.... through APT and have the system still continue to WORK, then I'm sure there is a way for a distro as large and popular as ubuntu to offer bleeding edge apps as an option to its users as well.

At this point using Dapper is clearly not an option if you intend on having a working system. So, isn't there another way this could be accomplished?

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast