Thread: Enterprise virtualization

Beans

Enterprise virtualization

I am currently dual-booting xp and ubuntu, solely so that I can run Photoshop CS3. I've tried CS2 through wine, but it's just too buggy for me. I would like to find another solution that doesn't involve dual-booting.

What is the most robust, enterprise-level virtualization software out there? I've only heard of VMWare and Virtualbox, but I don't know that much about either. I want something that WORKS.

What system specs would be ideal to run this without any noticeable performance decrease? If I were to buy a laptop, what should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Cory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Enterprise virtualization

I can suggest you the KVM hand-compiled together with QEMU.
    I have seen NO performance difference according to Various Processor Benchmarks, between a native Windows-XP and one running as Virtual "Guest" System inside my Ubuntu 8.04-1. I was quite impressed to be honest.

Disadvantage when using the default emulated Cyrrus-Logic graphics-card is only 16Bit when using max resolution of 1280-1024. But you can switch to a VESA capable "Virtual" Graphics-Card (haven't tried it yet)

Hardware:
    Use any actual Intel/AMD Processors which are capable of "Hardware-Virtualization".

I used this tutorial: http://redbrain.co.uk/?page_id=29

But actually this line:
    Code:
    ./configure –prefix=/usr
    should be rather this:
    Code:
    ./configure -–prefix=/usr
    I hope this helps you a little bit.

Beans

Don't you need two computers for KVM?

Edit: Never mind, thinking of KVM Switch. KVM looks like its still pretty underdeveloped compared to vmware and virtualbox
    Last edited by allspiritseve; November 1st, 2008 at 08:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Don't you need two computers for KVM?
    No.....
    KVM looks like its still pretty underdeveloped compared to vmware and virtualbox
    Thats because KVM isn't a emulator like the others. KVM is only a interface providing advanced hardware virtualization to your system-kernel (As far as i have understood it - other may correct me).
    To "use" the KVM capabilities you can use either the "emulator" QEMU (like i suggested it) or the Method with Ubunuts "libvirt" described here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

Beans

Is KVM significantly better than VirtualBox? What are the +/- of each?