Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: x11vnc shutting down on Intrepid login

Beans

Unhappy x11vnc shutting down on Intrepid login

Running Intrepid Ibex
    Installed x11vnc package
    This process has worked on pretty much all previous Ubuntu versions.

This line goes into /etc/gdm/Init/Default
    Code:
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -localhost -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -forever -bg
    This option is set in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
    Code:
    KillInitClients=false

With all previous versions of Ubuntu this works perfectly. I can connect to GDM and stay connected after a login to the desktop. Very easy "set it and forget it" configuration.

After a clean install of Intrepid Ibex 8.10 I can connect to the login screen, but get disconnected after entering the password and then GDM restarts and brings the computer right back to a login screen!

After the machine gets logged in I can open the console and manually run this command
    Code:
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -localhost -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -forever -bg
    and x11vnc starts up on port 5900 and I can reconnect with VNC viewer.

Anyone have some ideas about what's changed with Intrepid that makes this quit working?

Beans

Re: x11vnc shutting down on Intrepid login

I've also added
    Code:
    KillInitClients=false
    to the gdm.conf-custom file.

This is even worse. GDM restarts itself after entering the password. Brings ya right back to the login prompt.

So I comment out the KillInitClients line in both gdm.conf and gdm.conf-custom which brings me to some interesting results.

*I boot the computer.
    *I connect with SSH and try to connect VNC.
    *VNC connects. I type the username and password through the VNC session, and GDM blows up and restarts like you've pressed CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

If I boot the computer, connect SSH and VNC; and then type my username and password at the physical computer VNC will stay connected to the desktop and act normal.
    Last edited by Underpants; November 1st, 2008 at 04:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Underpants View Post
    *I boot the computer.
    *I connect with SSH and try to connect VNC.
    *VNC connects. I type the username and password through the VNC session, and GDM blows up and restarts like you've pressed CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
    Do any messages appear in the various logs (syslog, messages, gdm, Xorg, etc, etc.)?

BTW, you put the 'KillInitClients=false' in the [daemon] section, right?

Beans

It is in the daemon section, yes.

I'll have to check the logs on Monday or Tuesday. The laptop I use (Thinkpad x60) is getting a new LCD and it's in 50 pieces on my workbench right now.

Beans

I'll have to check the logs on Monday or Tuesday. The laptop I use (Thinkpad x60) is getting a new LCD and it's in 50 pieces on my workbench right now.
    This person seems to have the same problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=x11vnc

Beans

I am seeing the same behavior. To troubleshoot, I reinstalled Intrepid (AMD64) with the default configuration. I then installed X11Vnc and making to the edits to /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom, and /etc/gdm/Init/Default. After I submit my password, GDM restarts, VNC is killed, and I find myself back on the login screen.

It looks like this is an out-of-the box issue w/ Intrepid, and I'm surprised there are only a couple of reports of this. So, I figured I'd better chime in as another affected user.

Is anyone able to get this working on Intrepid? Maybe it's only a 64-bit issue.

Beans

I am indeed seeing the same problem. I'll go post a link here from my other thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Maybe it's only a 64-bit issue.
    Mine is happening on more than one 32bit machine. :/

Anyone have thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?

Beans

Anyone have thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?
    How did the search for clues in the messages, syslog, Xorg, gdm, etc, etc, log files go?

Please verify the following for me: with a clean install of intrepid and NO edits to gdm.conf and gdm.conf-custom, does the Xserver/GDM still crash after you login to the X session using x11vnc?

I want to take the gdm.conf edits out of the picture if they play no role.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krunge View Post
    How did the search for clues in the messages, syslog, Xorg, gdm, etc, etc, log files go?

Please verify the following for me: with a clean install of intrepid and NO edits to gdm.conf and gdm.conf-custom, does the Xserver/GDM still crash after you login to the X session using x11vnc?

I want to take the gdm.conf edits out of the picture if they play no role.
    My laptop will normal install is still out of order. I built an Intrepid system in vmware a few minutes ago. Clean install, installed only openssh-server and x11vnc.

* I power on the system and it comes to the GDM logon screen.
    * Connect with SSH and open tunnel
    * I run (/usr/bin/x11vnc -localhost -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -forever -bg)

And I cannot connect to GDM. I logon to the vmware machine via GDM and then rerun the command. I can connect, but when I 'logoff' x11vnc dies.

I don't see "x11vnc" anywhere in the syslog, xorg log, or gdm log.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast