Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 168

Thread: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    2,179
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Well, many people do not like the office suite or web browser that comes with Ubuntu, and manually have to download it.
    I know it's impossible to please everyone, my previous signature said that no matter what was chosen for Intrepid, there will be people that hate it.

    I do think, however, that the majority are pleased with Firefox / OpenOffice.org as default, but it seems the minority are pleased with Ubuntu's default theme.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,860
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    I'm wasn't a fan of dark themes till dark room and dust came along. But I've finally settled on a dark theme that does it just right. New wave.
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=87134
    Only problem is same as dust, the google suggestions box font colours. White on grey weird.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    381

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I really really hate this response, which I see so much. I'm aware of GNOME being configurable, as I have done it to my own installation. I shouldn't have to download/make a good looking theme though. Ubuntu should come with one, I don't have to download/make a good browser, or good office suite, or any of the other programs Ubuntu comes with, why should the theme be any different?
    Other OS's don't come with a decent looking theme either. And unless I'm doing something seriously wrong, it seems incredibly more difficult to download a theme in Vista than it is in Ubuntu.

    Call me crazy, I like Ubuntu's theme, but I don't use the default theme on anything either... it's not that hard to get them.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    2,179
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by estyles View Post
    Other OS's don't come with a decent looking theme either. And unless I'm doing something seriously wrong, it seems incredibly more difficult to download a theme in Vista than it is in Ubuntu.

    Call me crazy, I like Ubuntu's theme, but I don't use the default theme on anything either... it's not that hard to get them.
    A lot of people do like Windows/OSX themes, that's why you see them copied so much on gnome-look. It's easy to install software via Add/Remove, but that's not an excuse for the default software to be lacking. So why should the ease of changing the theme be an excuse to come with a theme many don't like?

    I understand there are people that like the default theme for Ubuntu, I just said they were the minority.

    The problem with the default theme is that if it is shown in a brick and mortar store, it will have the default theme. The majority of people will just pass by it because it's visually unappealing and won't even bother to see how it may actually be better for them than the same hardware running Windows.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Devon UK
    Beans
    1,494
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    A lot of people do like Windows/OSX themes, that's why you see them copied so much on gnome-look. It's easy to install software via Add/Remove, but that's not an excuse for the default software to be lacking. So why should the ease of changing the theme be an excuse to come with a theme many don't like?

    I understand there are people that like the default theme for Ubuntu, I just said they were the minority.

    The problem with the default theme is that if it is shown in a brick and mortar store, it will have the default theme. The majority of people will just pass by it because it's visually unappealing and won't even bother to see how it may actually be better for them than the same hardware running Windows.
    I think that sums it up nicely - that is the crux of the matter!
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

    Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    391

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    A lot of people do like Windows/OSX themes, that's why you see them copied so much on gnome-look
    And you know this because of a recent market survey you read? Please stop attempting to post your opinion as fact, there is no evidence to support the above statement you made. Windows and OSX users have no choice. Linux users do. That is fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I understand there are people that like the default theme for Ubuntu, I just said they were the minority.
    Again, until you have data to back up such a claim, please stop attempting to mislead others by attempting to present your opinions as fact.

    Seriously, if you don't like the theme, learn how to make themes in Gnome, post them on gnome-look.org and suggest that the Ubuntu team consider yours as the default.
    http://www.tmrepository.com/about/

    Windows 7 is so much better.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    2,179
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Geekkit View Post
    And you know this because of a recent market survey you read? Please stop attempting to post your opinion as fact, there is no evidence to support the above statement you made. Windows and OSX users have no choice. Linux users do. That is fact.
    True, I don't know why they do it, but look at the top downloads on gnome-look
    #1 emulates OSX, #3 and #5 are heavily influenced by Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by Geekkit View Post
    Again, until you have data to back up such a claim, please stop attempting to mislead others by attempting to present your opinions as fact.
    I'm terribly sorry, you're right, no one wants a new theme.
    As for more number evidence, look at the thread How do you feel about Intrepid's look? Over 80% gave either Deceived, Tired/Baffled, Worried, or Angry
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    391

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    True, I don't know why they do it, but look at the top downloads on gnome-look
    #1 emulates OSX, #3 and #5 are heavily influenced by Windows
    Most Downloaded doesn't necessarily equal "better" or preferred, it simply means what it says: more downloads. If you look at the other tab right next to "most downloads" you'll see it labeled as "highest rated".

    If you click through several pages of the highest rated sort, you do not see OSX or Windows themes - at least not for several pages, although that too is not enough in itself to suggest that the themes chosen are being chosen because of dissatisfaction with the current Ubuntu theme. It simply means that those that bothered to check out the gnome-look.org web site and vote, rated those themes highest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I'm terribly sorry, you're right, no one wants a new theme.
    As for more number evidence, look at the thread How do you feel about Intrepid's look? Over 80% gave either Deceived, Tired/Baffled, Worried, or Angry
    I don't think I ever said "no one wants a new theme". I was simply disputing your blanket statements that you attempted to offer as fact when they were simply your opinion.

    Also, I would hardly call 255 participants a reasonable sample size of the Ubuntu community. Additionally this poll is flawed (and therefore invalid) for the following reasons:
    - a user can choose both happy and angry (or select any combination of choices - I selected all check boxes), which is a contradiction in opinion and logic
    - only Ubuntu forum users will see this poll and be able to vote
    - there are more negative choices than positive choices making this "poll" biased/leading

    I would suggest you enroll yourself in a marketing research and/or statistics course at your local community college for more information on this topic.
    Last edited by Geekkit; November 21st, 2008 at 12:15 AM.
    http://www.tmrepository.com/about/

    Windows 7 is so much better.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    $HOME (Washington State)
    Beans
    4,590

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    the minority are pleased with Ubuntu's default theme.
    That may not be true. It could be that the people who hate the default theme are more vocal than the people who like it (since the people who like it don't always post about it). This would make it seem like the people who like the theme are the minority, while the people who hate it are the majority, without that actually being true.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    2,179
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

    Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    That may not be true. It could be that the people who hate the default theme are more vocal than the people who like it (since the people who like it don't always post about it). This would make it seem like the people who like the theme are the minority, while the people who hate it are the majority, without that actually being true.
    That could be the case yes, what would be a definitive poll? Individually asking the ~6,000,000 users if they like the theme or not?

    Since everything I've mentioned is apparently flawed in one way or another, what completely flawless evidence do you have to back up your view Geekkit?

    I mean, I'm a little confused, I show you results of a poll here and you say that's not a good enough sample size, but then you show me 'highest rated' on gnome-look which you admit is only of people who "bothered to check out the gnome-look.org web site and vote," and that's okay for a sample size? I could say it's like smartboyathome said and maybe shiki-colors is only the top because people who liked it are the most vocal.

    Don't think I want Ubuntu to look like OS X or Windows, just using the downloads to show that there are people that like that look. If Ubuntu went and replaced itself with Shiki-Colors it's fine by me because it's something different than what we have now, which is what we've be promised for a couple of releases now.
    Last edited by Merk42; November 21st, 2008 at 12:35 AM.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •