Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Jaunty Jackalope's Art Theme

Quote Originally Posted by Totonno View Post
    I preferred a lot that minimal "circles" wallpaper better than the final one (which I find ugly and doesn't even fit with the colors of the windows). I also liked the background image in the panels (i think it showed up only in the beta).

Anyway, back to the topic, I definitely agree with a lot of people posting here that a totally new theme is absolutely necessary for Jaunty Jackalope.
    I mean, this is reality, not dreamland.
    Be substance, but also be LOOK, because it's what definitely matters to people approaching for the first time.

I'm talinkg about the WHOLE theme: all the icons, windows, gtk, and FONTS too...well fonts actually come first for me!

I really can't stand Sans.
    It makes me wanna go Windows
    and cutsey icons and serif'd fonts make me want to puke . NEWS FLASH tastes vary all mover the lot , that is why a "theme " designed by committee will offend everyone and theese "artwork" threads are endless .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

These threads are endless, because the artwork/themes in Ubuntu are bad enough to incite a lot of such threads.

If Apple can come up with a theme that is pretty enough that most people using one never change, then surely Canonical can do the same.

Maybe you're right about the committee element - they just need to make a decision and stick to it. My worry is that they've done so already and this is what we're stuck with... (or rather, what new users are stuck with).
    Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi

Beans
    Distro

some people think the current theme is "ugly" , me for one , I change it to suit my liking but if you follow these threads you wil find many who do like it . The argument about new users doesn't fly because unless they have been hiding in a deep jungle somewhere and have never seen a computer before they know that themes can be changed , and only need to find out how . No one ever changed a windows or apple theme I suppose ? And BTW the apple "smilingface" is exactly the icon I was thinking of when I said "cutesy icons make me want to puke " . These threads are endless because as I said "tastes vary" not because there is some absolute standard of beauty .

Beans
    Distro

I have to agree with that
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi all,
    I have been keeping an eye on the archives. I don't understand why but there is a edgy-community-wallpapers which was packaged for jaunty. Don't understand why apart from the fact that we have some wallpapers that can be packaged (or have been there for few versions)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ja...ry/002604.html
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by scaine View Post
    These threads are endless, because the artwork/themes in Ubuntu are bad enough to incite a lot of such threads.

If Apple can come up with a theme that is pretty enough that most people using one never change, then surely Canonical can do the same.

Maybe you're right about the committee element - they just need to make a decision and stick to it. My worry is that they've done so already and this is what we're stuck with... (or rather, what new users are stuck with).
    I think for Canonical to do something as great as Apple they have to rewrite a lot of theme-engines and such, perhaps make completely new ones

Beans
    Distro

@ronacc - No, I never bothered learning how to change the theme on the Mac - it didn't need changing. I certainly DID learn how to do it on Ubuntu because using an out-of-the-install Ubuntu WITHOUT changing its theme is laughable, unthinkable (unless it's for testing/server).

And yep, you're right - people who install linux WILL know how to change themes. If you think that Canonical is happy with Ubuntu's "market share", then cool. Because unless they make the first impression far more desirable, then I'm pretty sure that techies who know how to change the theme is all they're going to attract.

Put it another way - if you wanted to impress a sceptical Windows/Mac using friend that Ubuntu rocks - would you, truly, honestly, put an unthemed Ubuntu desktop in front of them and wait for their positive reaction? Or would you theme it, jazz it up with Compiz and Cairo-dock/AWN first?

Honestly?
    Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi

Beans
    Distro

While you may not have changed a mac theme apearently someone has , from google " Results 1 - 10 of about 1,160,000 for mac themes. (0.12 seconds) " , curious myself I checked out interfacelift.com ( 3rd hit that search) and snagged a nice wallpaper for my jaunty desktop .
    Truly honestly I have poped an ubuntu live cd into someones box and on more than one occasion . Only once have I got an UG when the desktop came up ( a neighbors collage student daughter ) . my response was Oh thats eaisly fixed , click click , now how do you want it to look ? After that her only question was about functionality ( can I do my homework ((MSword formet)) with this ? ) , showed her OO and Abiword .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I still believe the themes and wallpaper used in Intrepid were a step forward. The overall effect of the theme, icons,etc achievea a tribal effect that represents where the distributions roots are and it distinguishes it from anything else.

I believe that the Ubuntu Art Team does not want Ubuntu to bear any resemblance to Windows or Mac OS in any way. I have been testing releases for some time and have finally grasped why Ubuntu looks the way it does.

The Artwork Team did include the Darkroom theme in Intrepid, that's a first! It is not flawless but it is very usable and good use of the color scheme they want to use. Even the default theme has been improved in the last two releases!

Asking for Mac like docks and a different color scheme is never going to happen, it goes against what is trying to be achieved. I believe the entire focus for artwork is for Ubuntu to stand completely on it's own merits. My earlier post in this thread suggests subtle changes that might refine the look with the use of the color scheme Ubuntu uses.

Consider what the distributions goals are and then consider where improvements might be made and how they would be interpreted.
    Last edited by exploder; January 8th, 2009 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ShirishAg75 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have been keeping an eye on the archives. I don't understand why but there is a edgy-community-wallpapers which was packaged for jaunty. Don't understand why apart from the fact that we have some wallpapers that can be packaged (or have been there for few versions)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ja...ry/002604.html
    Ignore the naming (for now anyway), hardy's wallpaper was "warty-final" if I remember correctly, nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by Eclipse.; January 8th, 2009 at 03:23 AM.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast