Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about Ubuntu intrepid performance?

Beans

Re: How about Ubuntu intrepid performance?

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    A fresh install saved me 10s. I still have to reinstall AWN though so I might end up with another +10s... back to square 1.

Anyway, 1m20s is the new standard for bootup time for a single core Intel. That's way too slow in my opinion.
    well my computer is single 3000+ amd athlon 64 512 mb ram and ubuntu boots fully in about 50 seconds. actually single core can be faster in many things than dual core
    World multi billionaire man Mr. William Harry Gates (Bill Gates). Yes, I know that Bill Gates rocks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Under 2s for me, with a fully encrypted hd and a 2.2ghz dualcore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    Performance overall is equivalent. I didn't notice any difference. Boot time though is considerably longer though. It went from 45s to 1m20s on my machine. I tried the usual tricks to "trim the fat" to no avail.

Is anyone knows how to make it boot faster, let me know!
    same here exact same boot time, I hope they can significantly improve this for the next release.
    ---
    "There is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect." -Merovingian (Matrix Reloaded)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thumbs down Re: How about Ubuntu intrepid performance?

I've noticed certain occasions where the cursors lags, but that's possibly because the system was under heavy load from either:

a) Virtual Box running XP with 2G RAM given to it. However, I had pretty much that set up under Hardy and did not notice cursor lag.

b) Disk transfers to an external HD. I was sorting out my master backups and so was doing a lot of external disk access. However, the CPU graph never indicated a load problem.

One website with a number of animated GIF thumbnails on it was showing the lag quite frequently, but since the external disk access has stopped I've not noticed any lag. About 1/2 hour ago I was in Photoshop in my Virtual Box XP session and noticed a brief spell of lag, but that was it and I half expect that under such conditions - tho as mentioned above I don't think Hardy ever did it.

It's amazing how sensitive one becomes to one's cursor movement after seeing it lag! Sometimes I question myself - did I see that just lag? I seem to go through this phase whenever I re-install an OS anyways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by syms View Post
    Hello,
    ive read article in phoronix.com that ubuntu 8.10 is slower than previous ubuntu releases, and ive seen benchmarks that gtk in 8.10 is 30% slower than in 8.04. So how do you feel about intrepid performance? i havent tried it yet but i want to hear - is it slower? is it faster? does boot is faster than 8.04?
    Thank you for your answers
    The only thing I have noticed is what many are saying here BOOT TIME is much longer then it was..... But once I am up and running I have NOT noticed any issues at all Performance seems about that same as 8.04 if not a little better. As with anything else I think allot depends on system hardware more then anything.
    Please help my Virtual City grow goto http://virtuallines.myminicity.com/ & tell your friends!

Beans

I use significantly overclocked hardware, so I rarely notice speed improvements. Nevertheless, I noticed that Intrepid booted faster than Hardy and generally loads apps faster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12