Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple: Only Safari on iPhone

Beans

Apple: Only Safari on iPhone

link here, i found it on digg, here is where you can go and digg it too if you want. my opinion will be expressed in subsequent post.

Opera Browser Not Allowed in iPhone App Store

The NY Times profiles Opera Software, the company that distributes the Opera browser for multiple platforms. According to the article, however, Apple is not allowing an iPhone version of the browser into the App Store:

Mr. von Tetzchner said that Opera’s engineers have developed a version of Opera Mini that can run on an Apple iPhone, but Apple won’t let the company release it because it competes with Apple’s own Safari browser.
    Gruber speculates that it could have to do with the Javascript interpreter or, more clearly, that Apple has been restricting apps that compete directly with some of their built in iPhone apps such as Safari.

Apple has been criticized for its decision to restrict certain applications from the App Store, and this suggests users shouldn't expect any other web browser alternatives (such as Firefox) to appear in the App Store at any point in the near future.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Apple: Only Safari on iPhone

They also declined to accept Fennec alpha 1.

Beans

so, my opinion:

this is unethical, for the same reason it would be unethical if MS went out of their way to make it extremely difficult to run or install Firefox or Safari on a Windows machine. for the same reason it would be unethical if Ubuntu made it impossible to add new entries in your repository list.

the iPhone app store is the primary means of installing software. thus, it is the equivelant of Ubuntu's repository list.

i consider a smartphone just as much a 'personal computer' as a netbook. i sincerely hope courts in the EU and US end up agreeing with me.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Nothing new here. Apple has no incentive to provide its users with choices. Why should they care about people's individual needs?

Beans

Safari works well in Iphone . I dont see the need for another browser. Web pages are so small in the Iphone screen anyway . I only use it once in a blue moon.

I think its a storm in a tea cup
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Supporting Apple is just as bad if not worse than supporting Microsoft.
    <Vang> Hmm, he's suddenly awfully quiet.
    <Paul> its tough typing with 1 hand.
    <Paul> quote me on that and die, pigs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Safari works well in Iphone . I dont see the need for another browser. Web pages are so small in the Iphone screen anyway . I only use it once in a blue moon.

I think its a storm in a tea cup
    But if Safari works so well, why won't Apple let it compete with other browsers?

Beans

Opera has stagnated , maybe the browser was not up to scratch and didnt meet Apples quality bench marks.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; October 31st, 2008 at 08:36 PM.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Opera has stagnated , maybe the browser was not up to scratch and didnt meat Apples quality bench marks.
    Any evidence to back that up?

(not trying to be argumentative, but that's a very strong position and I wonder if you have any impartial base for it)

EDIT: Also, why is it Apple's job to see if it lives up to "quality bench marks"? If it's a bad app, people will vote it down and it will be forgotten. It's an obvious conflict of interest for Apple to screen apps competing with their own for "quality".
    Last edited by cardinals_fan; October 31st, 2008 at 08:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Opera has stagnated , maybe the browser was not up to scratch and didnt meat Apples quality bench marks.
    which is exactly why apple has continued to reject applications that compete with the 4 main apps of the iphone (mail, safari, and two others)

i can gaurentee you that apple does not check every applicaton to see if it lives up to their benchmarks. cause if they did, opera would be allowed in, as they have a long history of having browsers on small devices (nintendo ds, cell phones, nintendo wii, just to name a few)
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast