Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freezes in my new intrepid!!!

Beans

freezes in my new intrepid!!!

Hi,
    i've installed today the new intrepid ubuntu, since then I've experienced 4 freezes all caused by the same factor (or so it seems), all of them required hard boots.

here is the message from the system log from the last freeze:
    Code:
    Oct 31 13:41:11 my-ubunutu pulseaudio[615]: main.c sterlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted

Oct 31 13:41:11 my-ubunutu pulseaudio[615]: main.c sterlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
    all of the other freezes had the same entry. it seems that the cause of the freezes is pulse audio, so i've removed pulse audio, but the freezes still continue with the same message.

what else can i do????
    if I may add, I've experienced freezes with ubuntu hardy and gusty but the reason was my graphics card not the audio engine.

thanks

Beans

Re: freezes in my new intrepid!!!

anyone???

Beans

I have the exact same problem. Intrepid keeps locking up after about 10-15 inutes, and I have to perform a hard restart. After looking at my system logs, I notice the exact same error that you seem to be getting as well involving pulse audio.

However, I do not think this is what is causing the problem, mine at least. Looking at my logs, the last thing that I see under syslog before the freeze is this:

Code:
    Oct 31 09:47:38 bgilbert-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_device_wifi_set_ssid(): error setting SSID to '(null)' for device wlan2: Invalid argument
    After completely disabling networking, I have been running ubuntu for about 40 min. so far (Longest since I updated), so unless this is a fluke it appears the Network Manager is the culprit. The only problem is I kinda need that thing, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Beans

I'm having the exact same problem, I hit the switch on my laptop to turn off wifi (and thereby disable networking), and I've been up twice as long as before.

Beans

Beans

I would think that this is the exact same issue, as all the symptoms make sense.

Beans

Yea, I think so too. I also noticed that my caps lock light flashes on and off while its locked up....pretty odd.

Beans

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!
    the freezes continue, is there no solution?!?!?
    in the begining of this thread i said that when it freezes there is a message about the pulse audio failure in system log. but now there are no messages and the freezes continue.
    Is there some kind of diagnostic I can do to isolate the problem????

I'm really getting tired from this Ubuntu freezes, and I'm afraid that all these hard boots will damage my hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is a new kernel update in the update manager. I had a freeze the second day of installing Intrepid, apparently with this same audio problem. After upgrading kernel I haven't had anymore problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jordilin View Post
    There is a new kernel update in the update manager. I had a freeze the second day of installing Intrepid, apparently with this same audio problem. After upgrading kernel I haven't had anymore problems.
    My current kernel version is 2.6.27-7-generic. is there something better???
    From what i know i've updated the kernel right after the install, together with all of the other updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast