Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

Beans

Re: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

Worked perfectly on an Xserve G5 Cluster node system.

Beans

Hello!

This is not working for me. I don't know if this is because the version but I would not think that, please confirm.

I am trying to install the Ubuntu Server 8.04.3 on an hp Proliant DL320 G6 but the same error happens.

I have tried the modprobe ide-scsi on a secondary console but nothing is better.

Can someone help?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by omarjimz View Post
    I am trying to install the Ubuntu Server 8.04.3 on an hp Proliant DL320 G6 but the same error happens.

I have tried the modprobe ide-scsi on a secondary console but nothing is better.
    I've noticed your hardware is intel xeon based. Also there is this:
    Infrastructure management/iLO Standard and HP Systems Insight Manager (SIM) - There maybe no support for it on the 8.04 version

The 9.04 version looks like the go:

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/hp-prolia...rtified-ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi, thanks for all the help so far. I had the CD problem, but the modprobe fixed it. My problem, however, is that the base system won't install. Any ideas? It either hangs the system up, or fails to install indefinitely. It's an old Imac G3 500mhz I think. I had a little trouble trying to identify the exact specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by TheSmokingGNU View Post
    My problem, however, is that the base system won't install. Any ideas? It either hangs the system up, or fails to install indefinitely. It's an old Imac G3 500mhz I think. I had a little trouble trying to identify the exact specs.
    I guess the battery is dead - or not? If it's so, try to set date and time following this link. Please, let me know, if this helps
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...448&mode=print
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks, that did help me set the clock right, but not really the issue here.

I can't install ubuntu on the system. It's an iMac G3 and I am using the PowerPC alternate install for Intrepid. It won't install the base system, I don't know why, but it hates me. I mean, I got the thing for free, so I guess I can't complain, but... it'd be nice to have this working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by TheSmokingGNU View Post
    My problem, however, is that the base system won't install. Any ideas? It either hangs the system up, or fails to install indefinitely. It's an old Imac G3 500mhz I think. I had a little trouble trying to identify the exact specs.
    Just to understand if it is a hardware related problem, try to install another version or debian lenny (stable)
    May be you can start another thread
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well, I'd really rather have ubuntu on there, cause I am more familiar with it, but... alright I'll try lenny. Thanks!

Beans

The solution to this issue:

The cd-rom is detected as /dev/hdc during my PPC MAC G4 installation. Do a manual selection of CDROM and replace /dev/cdrom0 with /dev/hdc.

Hope this helps.

Beans

hello,
    first think i'm unable to open an thread on ubuntu forum.(wts the problem?)

recently i'm installed xubuntu on my iBook G3(700Mhz). and got an problem! it's hearting me continually. :@
    my problem is, my iBook work grate on xubuntu but my CD ROM won't working!!
    but VLC played Video CD great. i'm confused! when i insert a data cd xubuntu don't show cd drive also don't eject CD drive(Fn+F12). previous time of installing xubuntu i was try ubuntu powerpc edition on my iBook and CD ROM work great.
    please tell me how to get CD ROM driver/Icon on xubuntu?
    please.
    thanks in advance.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast