Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

The ubuntu-8.10-alternate-powerpc Installer-CD failes to detect the CD-ROM Drive.

After choosing Language, Country and Keyboard-Layout, the Installer tries to detect the CD-ROM, but you get following massage:

"No common CD-ROM drive was detected
    You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from a floppy... Otherwise you willl be give the option to manually select CD-ROM modules. Load drivers from Floppy? - Yes - No"

Answer 'No' to the question and

SOLUTION
    Switch to a second console pressing ctrl+alt+F2
    Press Enter to activate that console
    Type:
    Code:
    modprobe ide-scsi
    Switch back to the first console pressing ctrl+alt+F1
    You got another question:
    "Manually select a CD-ROM module and device?"
    Say 'Yes' and choose the right option for you.
    Most probably you have to choose 'cdrom' or 'cdrom0'

If it fails again, go back to the 'Debian Installer Main Menu'
    and choose again the option 'Detect and mount a CD-ROM'
    Now it should work!

::::::: ::::::: ::::::: ::::::: ::::::: :::::::
    For more information:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/260608
    Thanks to olalirole for this workaround!!!
    Last edited by tiresia; November 25th, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

Quote Originally Posted by tiresia View Post
    The ubuntu-8.10-alternate-powerpc Installer-CD failes to detect the CD-ROM Drive.

After choosing Language, Country and Keyboard-Layout, the Installer tries to detect the CD-ROM, but you get following massage:

"No common CD-ROM drive was detected
    You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from a floppy... Otherwise you willl be give the option to manually select CD-ROM modules. Load drivers from Floppy? - Yes - No"

Answer 'No' to the question and

SOLUTION
    Switch to a second console pressing crtl+alt+F2
    Type:
    Code:
    modprobe ide-scsi
    Switch back to the first console pressing ctrl+alt+F1
    You got another question:
    "Manually select a CD-ROM module and device?"
    Say 'Yes' and choose the right option for you.
    Most probably you have to choose 'cdrom' or 'cdrom0'

If it fails again, go back to the 'Debian Installer Main Menu'
    and choose again the option 'Detect and mount a CD-ROM'
    Now it should work!

::::::: ::::::: ::::::: ::::::: ::::::: :::::::
    For more information:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/260608
    Thanks to olalirole for this workaround!!!

CONFIRMED! this works perfectly. I am installing on a PPC ( powerpc) Apple Titanium g4 Powerbook and had to use

Switch to a second console pressing crtl+alt+F2
    Type:
    Code:
    modprobe ide-scsi
    Then it did not find it, then i tried to redetect again and it found my CD-Rom flawlessly.

Three Cheers!!

~elephex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Elephex View Post
    CONFIRMED! this works perfectly. ...
    Yes, this worked for me as well. But after completing the install and rebooting, yaboot loads and boot starts and then the screen fades into white and nothing further happens. A bit scary....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can you please give more information about your computer?
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by calebio View Post
    Yes, this worked for me as well. But after completing the install and rebooting, yaboot loads and boot starts and then the screen fades into white and nothing further happens. A bit scary....
    Problem solved: at the yaboot prompt, run "Linux video=ofonly". Then once booted, edit /etc/yaboot.conf to include the following:
    Code:
      append="video=ofonly"

Beans

Angry Re: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

Hi,

I got the same problem with the no-cdrom detected. However, I can not switch to the terminal screen to run the probe. I've tried the (Alt+F2) (Ctrl+Alt+F2) etc., and I've gone back and changed the keyboard - tried Macintosh, MacBook/MacBook Pro, Macintosh Old, and finally the MacBook Int. as well as generic 101.

None of these allow the terminal switch to get a console and run the probe .

It's a 12" 867mhz, PowerBook G4

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ncudmore View Post
    Hi,

I got the same problem with the no-cdrom detected. However, I can not switch to the terminal screen to run the probe. I've tried the (Alt+F2) (Ctrl+Alt+F2) etc., and I've gone back and changed the keyboard - tried Macintosh, MacBook/MacBook Pro, Macintosh Old, and finally the MacBook Int. as well as generic 101.
    I believe that computer has a function (fn) key. Try including that in Ctrl-Alt-F2 (so, Ctrl+Alt+Fn+F2). I remember it was either that, or using '2' instead of 'F2', though I can't remember which exactly.
    MacBookPro5,1 running Intrepid Ibex and OSX (rEFIt dual-boot)
    iMac6,1 running OSX and Intrepid (rEFIt dual-boot)

Beans

Cheers Ctrl+Alt+Fn+F2 of something like it worked... Installing the base system now

Beans

Lightbulb Re: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

The current (2008-10-30) alternate-install iso-image has this error. Same bug on the LiveCD (2008-10-27)?

When will it be fixed?

Beside this nasty questions. Very good work!

Ralf

Beans

Can a forum moderator perhaps sticky this note, or add it to a FAQ or something? Methinks it's going to keep coming up...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast