Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where has Gnome Network manager gone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

where has Gnome Network manager gone

Hi All, I have just upgraded to 8.10 and Network Manager Applet has gone. Any ideas how to get it back or is there a replacement utility that adds all the 3G stuff advertised on the Ubuntu site?

BTW, I checked from Add/Remove programs and "Network Manager" is still installed.

Regards, Don.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: where has Gnome Network manager gone

Press Alt+F2 and enter this to launch back Network Manager :
    nm-applet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thanks Kobalt, the answer was elegant and simple as always.

Regards, Don.

Beans

Hoping to find answer to my challenge, I discovered Alt-F2 simply put another instance of network manager on my menu panel, but clicking on it replicated the menu that comes from existing icon, namely "manual configuration" Clearly a setting tweak needed, as I am sending this very message over my wifi network, BUT the network icon doesn't display signal strength, as it once did. searching for "nm-applet 0.6.6" in synaptic package manager brought up a big zero. Being able to pick a public wifi network based on signal strength remains a valuable capacity. Any help welcome.

Claude

Beans

try running "sudo iwlist scan" in the terminal to see if your wireless drivers are working.
    "The quieter you are, the more you hear" (in boot splash for BT3)
    Dell Vostro 1500 with Core 2 Duo T5270, 2GB DDR2 667 RAM, 120GB 5400RPM HDD , nVidia GeForce 8400mGS, Debian Sid &Ubuntu Hardy & Intrepid

Beans

Thanks Knix,

Wireless drivers appear to test well, which doesn't surprise me as this entire interchange is occurring over wireless. left click on network manager icon > Manual config and right click > enable networking which has been selected, and edit wireless networks. The latter brings up a blank list of wireless networks, inspite of the fact that I am clearly connected. Is there another place in Ubuntu Hardy Heron, where network manager settings are configurable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

What I had to do was:

1. Edit /etc/networks/interfaces (sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces)
    2. Comment out all references to anything that was not ath0 auto, eth0 auto, wlan0 auto, eth0 auto or lo (some of these may not apply to you)
    3. Restart the PC (I tried without, it all went pear-shaped quickly and am yet to figure out why it wouldn't connect - it may simply be a case of restarting the right process but don't know which)
    4. Go back to nm-applet (alt-F2 or edit System/Preferences/Sessions before rebooting to make t load automagically) and add wireless network. All is good.

Your mileage may and probably will vary considerably

Beans
    Hidden!

Network interface and network is horrible, horrible in 8.10. go back to what was good.

Beans

The wifi connection is working well. Its just the applet that resides on the bottom panel that fails to show all wireless networks, as it did ~a week ago. The problem will only be annoying when I'm out in the public space, in search of the best available network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I previously had wicd installed before upgrading and network manager disabled. The upgrade removed wicd from my installation and I'm not too sure how to start the GUI for network manager?

When I try to start nm-applet manually I get the following and nothing appearing in front of me.

Code:
    ** (nm-applet:12109): WARNING **: No connection defined
    ps aux | grep nm shows that nm-applet is running.
    I just need to get nm running so I can join my wireless network to re-install wicd.
    The perfect wedding
    apt-get install weddingring
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast