Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job search advice needed

Beans

Job search advice needed

I'm currently looking to change careers. My current one isn't working out, and I'd rather get into either programming, Linux sysadmin work (maybe), or teaching (especially at the university level, though I don't yet have the necessary education). The difficulty is that I don't really know the best way to go about finding programming jobs.

I have a bachelor's degree, but it's unrelated to programming. My experience is all based on programming as a hobby, which doesn't necessarily mesh with enterprisey interests.

I currently live out in the boondocks, so I'm plenty willing to relocate.

Any suggestions?

By the way, in case anyone's interested, I've posted my résumé (PDF) online.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Job search advice needed

You picked rather interesting time to change careers Usually better chances are during boom times, when companies are hiring, and are willing to take chances to get warm body into the shop. Nowadays, many companies are "restructuring" (firing people) and hiring might be frozen.

Still. some companies are still hiring, but it's buyer's market now, they can choose from better talent.

Just a thought. Maybe sitting tight and getting certification is better strategy for current "interesting" times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Be careful making the switch in this economic market.

Earlier this month I tried to switch employers, I aced the interview and was all set to start my new job at the smallish(70 people) software company, when they suddenly had to make cuts.

Basically, after I had resigned my current gig, they called to tell me they just fired half the company and might not be able to pay me anymore.

I was then in the fun filled and awkward position of unresigning.

So if you do decide to switch right now watch out. Definitely look into your possible employer and see how they are doing, my new one was privately held so no such luck for me.

As for getting a job in general, perhaps look for a smaller shop. My company basically has 6 programmers. I do desktop PC development, the rest do embedded PLC programming. Most of them don't have programming degrees.

Almost every big firm wants a BS in Computer Science or equivalent. So I think a smaller firm is the best bet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just in case you did not realize, you just posted your address and phone number for all to see.
    When I invented the Web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission.
    ~Tim Berners-Lee on Net Neutrality
    -------------------------------------
    Visit the Ubuntu Programming IRC-channel at #ubuntu-programming (chat.freenode.net).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

as a side note, parenthetical expressions are a nuisance in professional writing (and thus should be avoided)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

As others have said, this is not the best time to be looking for jobs. Some places to start looking would be career fairs and job listing sites, e.g. http://jobs.arstechnica.com/, http://www.monster.com/, craigslist, etc. If you have any friends/family members working at a company, I would also use them for connections as much as possible.

If you are interested in a IT/programming job, you should emphasize those skills more than your education and other work history. For example, your internship at Sandia is your most relevant work experience, yet it is the last thing on the resume. Do you have any programming projects that you can add? You should emphasize that you graduated summa cum laude (shows you are smart and capable of learning on the job). Did you receive any other honors, those should be added as well.

Good luck with the job hunting.
    When I invented the Web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission.
    ~Tim Berners-Lee on Net Neutrality
    -------------------------------------
    Visit the Ubuntu Programming IRC-channel at #ubuntu-programming (chat.freenode.net).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I recently got a job doing PHP development through monster.com. So, I'd recommend it. Just shove your CV on there and wait for the agents to get in contact; nice and easy.

IMHO work experience would be > than an education. With what you know you will probably not learn enough new stuff to make it worthwhile; whereas a job would probably be demanding and keep you on your toes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't have a degree, but was found by a recruiter after posting my resume on Monster. I said I spoke a minimal amount of Japanese (I took a class for a few months), and that's what got me the job. They all (the recruiter and the company) thought I had a degree because my resume lists colleges I've attended with phrases like "Worked toward B.S. in Computer Science"... I told them after getting the job that I didn't have a degree, and their only comment, despite their ads (which I hadn't seen before, having been recruited), was "there are a lot of very good programmers who don't have degrees."
    Professional and hobbyist programmer. Current project: Odysi and SydMVC.

Beans

Hijacking, sorry. Is there a difference between CS and SE (software engineering)? I am in my last year of HS, apply to school soon, so kinda curious as to which path is better. I know SE, due to the 'engineering' is more rigid, not to mention bloody hard. But, I also heard that the math in CS is much more deep. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Changturkey View Post
    Hijacking, sorry. Is there a difference between CS and SE (software engineering)? I am in my last year of HS, apply to school soon, so kinda curious as to which path is better. I know SE, due to the 'engineering' is more rigid, not to mention bloody hard. But, I also heard that the math in CS is much more deep. Help?
    Computer science is the nitty gritty, software engineering is more high level. I recommend CS over SE, but most employers consider them equivalent.

For the OP: I've had a lot of success on Craig's list.

This whole recession deal is quite ridiculous if you ask me. The economy is like a river that just flows around and around. The faster it flows, the "better" the economy. Its not like there is ever less water (money, disregarding imports and exports) -- its just that when it changes hands quicker, people feel better. Its a gross over-abstraction, sure, but people's emotions have much more to do with boom times and bust times than anything else.
    Last edited by curvedinfinity; October 29th, 2008 at 03:37 AM.
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast