Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux expected to outship Windows in 2009

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Linux expected to outship Windows in 2009

We may see a world at the end of next year where Linux ships on almost every notebook computer regardless of whether it is loaded with Windows. This in addition to the huge potential of the netbook, mobile internet device and mobile Linux market can mean huge and immediate inroads for a Linux desktop, albeit not in the form most people had predicted many years ago when the first “year of the Linux desktop” was declared.
    http://www.linux-foundation.org/webl...-than-windows/

Jim Zemlin, director of the Linux Foundation, as posited that Linux will outship Windows on the desktop next year, thanks to the many fast-booting Linux environments increasingly bundled with PCs. Writes Zemlin, "We may see a world at the end of next year where Linux ships on almost every notebook computer regardless of whether it is loaded with Windows."
    http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9...59.html?kc=rss

Beans

Re: Linux expected to outship Windows in 2009

yeh the netbook is our ticket in people
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

I'm not sure this is good for the consumer. Linux is great for us techies, but there's alot of mainstream software that wont run on Linux. Alot of the Linux 'equivilent' software packages are ok but many of them aren't pretty enough yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    I'm not sure this is good for the consumer. Linux is great for us techies, but there's alot of mainstream software that wont run on Linux. Alot of the Linux 'equivilent' software packages are ok but many of them aren't pretty enough yet.
    well it will be good for the consumer in the long run, already there are many companies looking to linux as a alternative to the hard to work with conditions of microsoft right now so there is oppertunity that what linux needs to get on top might already be there when linux hits big.

And what do you mean by "pretty"? come on I think a lot of linux apps look great.
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    yeh the netbook is our ticket in people
    If only they'd start shipping them with good distros! Dell are the only people shipping a well-supported mainstream Linux distro in their netbook IIRC (good onya Dell, btw!)

The netbooks are a great opportunity, they're also a horrendous risk, since they'll be many people's first Linux experience. I'm hoping the Ubuntu/Fedora/PCLOS folks are moving heaven and earth to get their distros onto these devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

will the average joe know this is a linux innovation though? seems most of the oems are customising splashtop and calling it anything but 'linux'. i just hope that those that buy vista installed laptops, and appreciate the faster boot times, will put credit where its due, and not mistakenly think this is anything to do with ms!
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Thanks, you just made all of them thousands of packages and great software useless because you think they will need "mainstream" software.

Hello....., the whole idea is not to get people onto mainstream software in the first place, what they dont know they won't use and use something they will get accustomed to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    If only they'd start shipping them with good distros! Dell are the only people shipping a well-supported mainstream Linux distro in their netbook IIRC (good onya Dell, btw!)

The netbooks are a great opportunity, they're also a horrendous risk, since they'll be many people's first Linux experience. I'm hoping the Ubuntu/Fedora/PCLOS folks are moving heaven and earth to get their distros onto these devices.
    Well both Toshiba and HP have started to use Ubuntu too

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    will the average joe know this is a linux innovation though?
    Does it matter? If Linux has made their life better, that's a win for us. Anybody who's willing to make the switch will probably have the curiosity to find out anyway.

I quite like the idea of Linux sneaking itself onto more devices ninja-style. By the time it starts to seep into public awareness we'll already be everywhere! Mwahahaahaa!!!

(Mind you, we've actually got them pretty surrounded already. It's just those stubborn PCs we struggle to assimilate...)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Well both Toshiba and HP have started to use Ubuntu too
    Excellent news. Resistance is futile!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast