Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu & iPhone

Beans

Re: Ubuntu & iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    I did forget this option, right.
    You're correct when you are talking about 3g iphones, which is the case here Only a virtual machine might help here.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am using my iphone with Vmware on Ubuntu amd64. Works fine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would recommend keeping an eye on Songbird. They do not support iphone, ipod touch or zunes yet but hopefully this will come in the future. That app rocks!
    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." -- Isaac Asimov

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The reason why iPhones, iPod Touch, and the like don't work is that they require the newest iTunes to work; and for various reasons we can't get the latest iTunes to work in Ubuntu (yet). The only way to get around that is Jailbreak, which has been mentioned, but (I believe) that voids your warranty.

On another note though, if you have a Mini9, how much music do you have? I believe the largest "hard drive" for them is 16 gigs, and that is before you install the OS and other software. Do you have access to another computer (parents, friends with exceptional musical taste) that you could use as your music-machine?

Good Luck,
    jim
    I think a nerd is a person who uses the telephone to talk to other people about telephones. And a computer nerd therefore is somebody who uses a computer in order to use a computer. -Douglas Adams
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My son has an IPod Touch and recently I Linuxed his laptop! All was well until he wanted to synch his Touch with Amarok. (We run Kubuntu).

After much searching around I found this tutorial and followed it to the letter. It works. He can now synch his music.

I can't take credit for this tutorial, when I find a post I can use I copy it into a WP document and save it for a rainy day.

Here goes!

The following guide allows you to wirelessly sync an iPhone with Amarok in Ubuntu 7.10, including adding, editing and playing songs and playlists.
    Note :- it requires a jailbroken iPhone.
    Step1 :- Set up the iPhone
    On your iPhone:
    Click Settings → General and set Auto-lock to Never. This will ensure the iPhone keeps the WiFi connection open.
    Click Settings → WiFi and select your WiFi network. Click the Static button and change the IP Address to something outside the dynamically assigned range of your network. For example, if your wireless router normally assigns 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5, try 192.168.1.10. This will ensure your iPhone is always contactable at the same address for syncing.
    Open Installer.
    Click on All Packages → OpenSSH → Install.
    Click All Packages → BSD Subsystem → Install
    Step2 :- Set up Ubuntu
    A third party source provides the ipod convenience package needed to properly mount and unmount an iPhone or iPod Touch, and for gtkpod users, a newer gtkpod that’s required for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
    First you need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    add the following line
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ipod-touch/ubuntu gutsy main
    Save and exit the file
    Update the source list
    sudo aptitude update
    Install the ipod-convenience and amarok packages
    sudo aptitude install ipod-convenience amarok
    When asked, enter the IP address of your iPod Touch or iPhone that you selected earlier. When asked for a folder to mount your iPod Touch or iPhone, either leave the default of /media/ipod or another folder if you prefer - just remember to use that folder name for rest of this guide. The package will make the folder for you.
    Step3 :- Set up Amarok
    Click Applications → Sound and Video → Amarok
    When you first open up Amarok:
    Click Settings → Configure Amarok.
    Choose Media Devices.
    Hit Add Device.
    Select Apple iPod Media Device for the plugin type.
    Point it at your mount point, /media/ipod.
    Back in the main app, click the blue cog icon called Configure Device just above the iPhone or iPod Touch. For Pre-Connect Command, add iphone-mount, for the Post-Disconnect Command, add iphone-umount
    Click Connect. After entering your password, your iPhone or iPod touch should now appear in Amarok.
    You can now add, edit, and delete music to the iPhone like any other device. Just drag the music files into Amarok, and hit Transfer to move them to your iPhone. When you’re done, stop any music playing from the iPhone and click Disconnect.
    Music should show now up in the iPhone immediately.
    Note: If music doesn’t show up immediately this may be due to a bug recent BSD Subsystem packages missing the killall command. If so, you can download killall for iPhone, move the ‘killall’ file to /usr/bin/on your iPhone, and enable the execute permission.
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Like it has been said, Jailbreaking the iPhone will work, but I think it voids your warranty. Does anyone know for sure?

jim
    I think a nerd is a person who uses the telephone to talk to other people about telephones. And a computer nerd therefore is somebody who uses a computer in order to use a computer. -Douglas Adams
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

@jpoRS, I'd bet money that it breaks your warranty.
    BA, Jewish Studies and Political Science; B.Sc., Chemistry - University of Washington - in progress
    Ubuntu Registered User 23646 | Linux Registered User 565253

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

You can easily revert it back to the official software very easily. With Ziphone, its just one click. If you needed to get service you can do this, or if it's too messed up to restore, then it's unlikely apple will be able to do anything with it either, so they would never know. I've had an Iphone for a year, and Apple usually takes the restore it and if that doesn't work replace it ideology, so its not much of an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12