Thread: iso upgrade to ibex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: iso upgrade to ibex

I have this file: ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso

This mounts my disk.
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop /home/harsha/Desktop/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso /media/cdrom0/
    I then do this:
    Code:
    apt-cdrom add
    Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
    Unmounting CD-ROM
    Waiting for disc...
    Please insert a Disc in the drive and press enter
    harsha@Sinclair:~/Desktop$
    I press enter..
    Code:
    Mounting CD-ROM...
    Identifying.. [ac20a1ac35626cb607897968f3dd2440-2]
    Scanning disc for index files..
    Found 2 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 1 signatures
    Found label 'Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.5)'
    This disc is called: 
    'Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.5)'
    Copying package lists...gpgv: Signature made Wed 29 Oct 2008 23:24:11 GMT using DSA key ID FBB75451
    gpgv: Good signature from "Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key <cdimage@ubuntu.com>"
    W: Skipping non-exisiting file /cdrom/dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages
    W: Skipping non-exisiting file /cdrom/dists/intrepid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages
    E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%208.10%20%5fIntrepid%20Ibex%5f%20-%20Release%20i386%20(20081029.5)_dists_intrepid_Release - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/Ubuntu%208.10%20%5fIntrepid%20Ibex%5f%20-%20Release%20i386%20(20081029.5)_dists_intrepid_Release.gpg - open (13 Permission denied)
    What should I do?

I should have posted that I'm on 8.04 (Hardy Heron).
    Last edited by howefield; March 30th, 2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans

sudo apt-cdrom add?
    "Distros remove perfectly functioning programs and replace them with broken and insufficient replacements coupled with promises that the replacement will one day be just functional and stable as the prior working program"

Beans
    Distro

Once mounted, if I try the same command with sudo I get this.
    Code:
    harsha@Sinclair:~$ sudo apt-cdrom add
    Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
    Unmounting CD-ROM
    Waiting for disc...
    Please insert a Disc in the drive and press enter 
    Mounting CD-ROM...
    E: Failed to mount the cdrom.
    Any other ideas?

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom -m -d=/cdrom add
    The /cdrom mount point is meant for auto-mounted physical CDs, to mount ISOs you should probably use either /mnt or create /media/iso or some other mount point, although it won't matter much in this case, as long as you don't insert a cd in the drive

apt-cdrom is designed to work with several CDs I guess, as it mounts and unmounts them automatically, not much use if you have mounted an ISO and not a physical CD. Use the -m flag to prevent this behaviour.

The -d option specifies the mount point explicitly and may help avoid confusion.

I ran this with the -n flag which prevents changes to sources.list and it seemed OK. I'm oing to try to upgrade using this method, let me know how it goes with you.

Edit: By the way, all the official guides tell you to use the alternate CD if you're going to install by any other method than the LiveCD installer.
    Last edited by meganox; October 31st, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
    "Distros remove perfectly functioning programs and replace them with broken and insufficient replacements coupled with promises that the replacement will one day be just functional and stable as the prior working program"

Beans
    Distro

I downloaded it again and installed it through the software updater thing.

Beans

Look: handy guide to upgrading from an ISO.

There's no mention of using "apt-cdrom"... and as meganox said, you need the Alternate ISO. But this is the method I've used for years, since I'm on a bandwidth-capped internet plan and can get the ISO from a local mirror.

Beans

Well it worked for me using the Alternate CD. First set of updates were a bit odd, got the "Partial Uprade" message, and apt seemed not to be seeing some of the repos. I had to enable restricted through the Add/Remove menu, for example, even though it was in sources.list. Seems to be working better now.