Thread: I want Xubuntu (New partition)

Beans

I want Xubuntu (New partition)

I want to be able to boot Xubuntu with Ubuntu (not at the same time)

And Kubuntu, for that matter.

Honestly, though, I'm scared to mess with Partitions.. I have one partition.. I think. But it was a Windows PC -- Bought from Wal-Mart and I wrote over everything and used Ubuntu, instead.

I don't really need much space (like 7-10GB of space each(including OS))

How can I do this, but insure that I won't delete any necessities?

(I'm going to back up my pictures, but things like World of Warcraft, that are about 10GB download, and a lot of work to install/get it to run on Wine)

Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: I want Xubuntu (New partition)

They're all the same operating system, just with different desktop environments. For xubuntu open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop
    then selected it from the sessions menu at the log in screen

for kubuntu install kubuntu-desktop and select it at login.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

So.. will it write over GNOME and make it XFCE? But all my files and everything will be OK?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JakeWatkins View Post
    So.. will it write over GNOME and make it XFCE? But all my files and everything will be OK?
    no, it will install XFCE along side GNOME. You choose which one you want at the login screen.

To 'overwrite' GNOME:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop && sudo aptitude remove ubuntu-desktop
    Your files should be fine. Back up anyways, especially your home directory. iIf anything goes wrong you can uninstall all desktops, reinstall gnome and restore your home directory from the backup to reset all your current settings.
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

What are the other things I can install besides Kubuntu/Xubuntu like that, and what are their benifits?

Can I install another distro like this? I really like Ubuntu, and I probably won't ever leave it, but part of the whole "linux" thing, is that it's free, and there are so many things to try = D

(This pertains to my original question about partitions)

Beans
    Hidden!

What are the other things I can install besides Kubuntu/Xubuntu like that, and what are their benifits?

Can I install another distro like this? I really like Ubuntu, and I probably won't ever leave it, but part of the whole "linux" thing, is that it's free, and there are so many things to try = D

(This pertains to my original question about partitions)
    I've been using Ubuntu for 18 months now and I'm still learning.... I can relate to a nervousness about messing with partitions as well.

There are a variety of flavours of Ubuntu available. The main differences between them are the applications that come prepackaged and the user interface (sometimes referred to as the "desktop"). Some are good for smaller machines with not much RAM or disk space, and some are better for larger machines. Kubuntu is the one most like Windows in its appearance that I've used (and I've seen discussions in the forums on making it look more like Windows)

You might also want to check out what programs are available through the "add/remove programs" menu, there's a variety of different things you can add to your ubuntu installation. Which (if any) you choose to install is up to you.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Yeah, I've used it for about 2 months now.. and I'm somewhat familiar with Ubuntu. Not nearly what I'd hope for, though.

I'm installing the Xubuntu/Kubuntu right now -- What about open SuSE, my friend said it was a good distro, but I'm skeptical

Beans

Does anyone have a good guide to make a new partition in Ubuntu, do I have to boot up using my Live CD to make the new partition? How will I know for sure I won't write over all my settings/files/programs?

Beans
    Distro

Does anyone have a good guide to make a new partition in Ubuntu, do I have to boot up using my Live CD to make the new partition? How will I know for sure I won't write over all my settings/files/programs?
    What are you partitioning? I thought you just wanted to run xubuntu. It's the same OS, the only difference is the desktop. Don't partition anything, just open a terminal, and type:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop
    Then you choose either GNOME or XFCE at the log-in screen.

If you're talking about another OS, another version of Linux or Windows, etc.

Boot the live cd, open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo gparted
    Resize your ubuntu partition, format the new free space, then shut down and boot the install media for your new OS. You can't be guaranteed that no files will be lost or damaged, that's why it's important to back up all important data first.