Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gnome-power-manager not responding in 8.10

Beans

Re: gnome-power-manager not responding in 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by ether1231 View Post
    I've just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Sony Vaio VGN-NR110E and encountered the same issue as you guys, but I think I may have found a temporary fix.

When I unchecked "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when idle" under the battery tab in the Power Management Preferences the g-p-m does not appear to stop responding anymore.

You'll need to set the backlight brightness manually by doing it this way for now, but it should do the trick until a permanent solution is found.
    I just tried it, and yes, it looks like gnome-power-manager is no longer hanging. Thanks!

I can't remember when I customized the settings for backlight brightness and display dimming, but it was around the time I installed 8.10, so it's possible that this bug in gnome-power-manager predates 8.10.

I'm just happy to have gnome-power-manager responsive again!

Beans

When I unchecked "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when idle" under the battery tab in the Power Management Preferences the g-p-m does not appear to stop responding anymore.
    Brilliant! That worked for me too. Many thanks.
    Last edited by DigitalRonin; November 16th, 2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added quote

Beans

Just to say that I was also having the same issue with my 8.10 install on a Latitude D410 laptop. Some of the symptoms are the same as what had been reported thus far:

- When on battery power, the brightness of the LCD screen seems to dim on its own even when not idle;
    - gnome-power-manager stops responding, or very slow in responding. Typically, this will mean a 15-20 seconds delay in popping up the Shutdown/Suspend options window after pressing the Power button. Or, the same delay after selecting Shutdown from either the Main Menu or the User Panel Plugin
    - Also, when gnome-power-manager hangs or slows in responding, right-clicking on the Battery Plugin Icon in the Gnome Panel also does nothing
    - My initial workaround was to kill the gnome-power-manager process using 'killall' from the commandline, then start Power Management from the System Menu.
    - I've just turned off screen-dimming for both AC and Battery Power and will see if the issue goes away for me, as it did for others.

There is clearly an issue with gnome-power-manager in this build and I hope the bug will receive some attention in the near future.

Thanks.

~ Barrangatan

Beans

Talking Re: gnome-power-manager not responding in 8.10

First, Excuse me for may english, is really bad...

Anyway, I just only say Thank you very much... this is the solution perfectly for me, buy I hope that this problem (bug) will be fixed...
    Thanks, and see you later.

NOTE: If anybody can correct my english, is welcome...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 as a fresh install on my Lenovo R61 Thinkpad and I am having the same problem.
    1.After running the computer for about two hours the gnome power manager stops responding.n the power management window.
    2. No battery icon is displayed in the notification area.
    3.I cannot adjust the display brightness.
    4.There is no "On Battery" tab in the power managment dialogue box.
    3. when I shut down it displays a "Gnome Power Manager Not Responding" dialogue box before logging out.
    4.When the Ubuntu boot screen is displayed the shut down process hangs at about 70%.I have to press the power button for 10 secs. to switch off.

I Have Already Tried The Above mentioned Solutions!!
    Last edited by necronwarrior; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:01 PM.

Beans

I've just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Sony Vaio VGN-NR110E and encountered the same issue as you guys, but I think I may have found a temporary fix.

You'll need to set the backlight brightness manually by doing it this way for now, but it should do the trick until a permanent solution is found.
    Thanks so much for finding this - you're a lifesaver!

Beans

I am having the same exact issue....

After setting my screen to dim with the slider, and changing the time until my monitor shuts off, now power management hangs consitently and the battery meter dissapears.

What is more frustrating is that everytime I login (even after a cold boot) my screen starts to slowly dim, until it is completely black.

I am unable to change the screen dimming options, because when I finally am able to launch the power management window, the options I need to change are not displayed/populated in the window.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

-Freq

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Re: gnome-power-manager not responding in 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by necronwarrior View Post
    3. when I shut down it displays a "Gnome Power Manager Not Responding" dialogue box before logging out.
    Edited: found a solution to Freq18Hz-s 4th problem, and that of mine.
    Once I manually edited the settings for gnome-power-manager to not dim the screen on battery power via gconf-editor the "On battery" tab magically reappeared after a restart, and also the power problems are gone as the fix of this thread suggests.
    gconf-editor : /apps/gnome-power-manager/backlight -> uncheck battery_reduce
    --
    Have you found a way to access the "on battery" settings yet to try out some of the solutions mentioned above?

I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 yesterday in the hope that hibernation would start working (read some hints here and there suggesting that could be the case). Instead, I now have the exact same symptoms as you on my Acer Aspire One 150. In addition the power button has stopped working, and I cannot even suspend the computer.
    Last edited by dilidon; January 4th, 2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Found a solution. Avoiding double posting.
    "Do it alone, it's weird.
    Do it with others, it's a club."

Beans

Absolute champ! Works for me too. I installed 8.10 Intrepid on my Dell Mini Inspiron 9 yesterday and couldn't figure out why the g-p-m was being difficult. Painlful bug but I guess I can do without dimming for now.

FWIW, I had some issues unchecking 'Reduce backlight brightness' the first time: gpm hung and I had to open it from the System menu (and wait about 20 secs). After a reboot it hadn't actually changed even though I know I unchecked it. I repeated the process and this time it stuck. Appears to be doing fine now.

Ta!
    Last edited by nw@pS; January 17th, 2009 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I've got the same problems with 8.10 on my Aspire One as well. Clean install of 8.10, using the netbook remix theme. Glad I found this thread. My symptoms were pretty much the same as necronwarrior's.

1.The gnome power manager stops responding in the power management window.
    2. No battery icon is displayed in the notification area.
    3.I cannot adjust the display brightness.
    5. When I click the Quit icon, nothing responds for up to 2 minutes before the Logout/Shutdown dialogue box pops up (I can't open anything during this freeze time, firefox, etc)
    6. when it does shut down it displays a "Gnome Power Manager Not Responding" dialogue box before logging out.

I just set the battery settings as recommended above, so we'll see if it fixes the problem. But this happens while on AC power sometimes as well.
    Last edited by LoSt180; January 17th, 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast